Dentures - Problems

Did you experience any problems with your dentures while eating, drinking, or speaking?

Will dentures affect the way of a person looks, feels, eats, and speaks?

Dentures can restore or even enhance a person's appearance and be virtually undetectable. It takes some time to find the best way to insert and take out the dentures, and the gums will be a little sore in places at first. It is very important to return to the dentist often during the first few weeks to adjust the parts of the denture that are irritating the oral tissues.

Eating with the dentures in place requires some practice. It is best to start with soft foods, chewing food equally on both sides of the mouth and slowly introducing more solid foods. Chewy or sticky foods should be avoided. Once the cheeks and tongue get used to the denture, they will begin to automatically help keep the denture in place.

Speaking also requires practice but will become easier with repetition. With exaggerated movements such as yawning or laughing, the denture may become dislodged at first. If it continues, the denture may need to be adjusted or relined (refit). The denture may cause an increased production of saliva at first, but it will reduce back to normal.

Return to Dentures

Comment from: mebank1234p, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My dentures won't stay in when I try to eat. I have had them since June. My top dentures stay in but I'm afraid to eat because they might fall out I feel. My dentist is trying hard to help.

Comment from: senior, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

After 45 years of wearing porcelain dentures, I was fitted for acrylic (plastic) dentures. I did not realize it until the first tooth fell out of my mouth while dining in a restaurant; not the last occurrence. Then I realized that my existing crowns (porcelain) were wearing my new dentures down very rapidly. What a waste of time and money! You would think the dentist would have thought of the latter. Now I am desperately trying to find porcelain dentures.