Chemical Peel - Side Effects

Did you experience any side effects with your chemical peel?

Please select the black square:

What are risks, side effects, and dangers of chemical peels?

The risks, side effects, and complications of chemical peels include scarring, infection, reactivation of herpes simplex infections, and a substantial contrast in coloration of the treated skin. All patients will have a recuperation period, the length of which depends upon the depth of the peel. Deep peels can result in substantial periods of healing on the order of weeks. Deep peels generally require extensive local anesthesia, deep sedation, and occasionally general anesthesia, which carries its own risks.

Return to Chemical Peel

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had pigmentation and solar keratoses from sun exposure over the years. A doctor performed a chemical peel, and I'm very happy with the result. The initial treatment burned but was cooled with the use of a fan. My face did swell on the fourth day post-treatment, which required cortisone cream and tablets for three days, but after seven days, all main peeling had ceased and the result was excellent. It is now three weeks post-treatment and my face is great.

Comment from: Disappointed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have fines lines and ice picked scars from my acne but I do not have pigmentation. Now I suffered severe 'burned patches' of island patches and spots on my cheeks since having done the chemical peel. I did ask the aesthetician about the appearance of extreme darkened patches the day after the peel. He assured me it is fine though I have a deep suspicion of the uneven patches. My face looks badly pigmented now. This is certainly a very bad job done on my face by an aesthetician with many years of experience. I seem to have permanent scarring now. I am extremely disappointed.