Appendectomy - Complications

Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.

Please select the black square:

What are the complications and risks of appendectomy?

• Wound infection and perforation (rupture) are the most common complications of an appendectomy.
  • Abscess formation in the area of the removed appendix or surgical incision site may also occur.
  •  Other relatively infrequent or rare complications may include ileus (lack of intestinal peristalsis), surgical injuries to internal organs or structures, gangrene of the bowel, peritonitis (infection in the peritoneal cavity) and bowel obstruction.
Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: Beemer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I had right abdominal pain developing and increasing over 2.5 weeks before I went to the doctor. I had a stat ultrasound - very painful as she spent 8 minutes pressing down on the appendix as hard as she could to get an image. This ended in a MIA (multiple intestinal atresia) diagnosis. The next day I had a stat CT and ruptured appendix was the diagnosis. The surgeon was hesitant to do surgery and set a drain in to reduce the infection. Five days later I was released with an abscessed appendix. Two weeks later, pain in multiple areas on the right side hurts with every step I take. The doctor is still reluctant to remove the appendix because the abscess was so big and he "cannot differentiate the appendix from the colon". Not very confident. Will have another CT scan, see the surgeon again, and then probably schedule surgery. The lack of confidence the doctor has in his own abilities is either insightful or frightening. Five weeks into this and still waiting for a plan of action and to feel better.