Appendectomy - Complications

Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.

What are the complications and risks of appendectomy?

• Wound infection and perforation (rupture) are the most common complications of an appendectomy.
  • Abscess formation in the area of the removed appendix or surgical incision site may also occur.
  •  Other relatively infrequent or rare complications may include ileus (lack of intestinal peristalsis), surgical injuries to internal organs or structures, gangrene of the bowel, peritonitis (infection in the peritoneal cavity) and bowel obstruction.
Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: SoCalldy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am a 30 year old female. I experienced pain that felt like either cramps or gas in my lower stomach, Sunday afternoon. I ended up calling in sick to work on Monday because it was so bad that I couldn't sleep Sunday night. I didn't get seen by a doctor until 4 am Tuesday when I finally decided it was time for the emergency room. The pain was now centered in the lower right side of my stomach. Once I got to the hospital it took most of the day for the doctors to conclude that a surgery had to be done to investigate the pain because although everything pointed to appendicitis it still did not show up on the CT scan. I had laparoscopic surgery that night around 9 pm and it turned out I did in fact need my appendix out. I am recovering fairly well but still in a lot of pain and the swelling just went down last night finally, it is now Friday morning. My best advice is to go see a doctor right away if you feel something is wrong. I was a bit embarrassed because I thought it was just cramps or gas. Thankfully my appendix didn't burst but if I had it to do again I would have gone in sooner.

Comment from: JR-NJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I awoke in the middle of the night almost two weeks ago with severe pain in my lower right abdomen. I went to the hospital, blood test was ok but CAT scan showed appendicitis. They waited almost 10 hours to get me to surgery during which time the pain got so bad the medication wasn't working anymore. They got my appendix out right before it burst and I have also been having a lot of pain in my abdomen, specifically from my navel to my groin, almost like my bladder hurts (I don't have a urinary tract infection). My surgeon said I still can't lift anything for another week, but other than that I'm able to do anything I want. Anyway, it has been getting better but this takes a lot longer to recover from than they tell you. My suggestion, take it easy and listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. You had major surgery even though everyone treats it like a little nothing.