Appendectomy - Complications

Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.

What are the complications and risks of appendectomy?

• Wound infection and perforation (rupture) are the most common complications of an appendectomy.
  • Abscess formation in the area of the removed appendix or surgical incision site may also occur.
  •  Other relatively infrequent or rare complications may include ileus (lack of intestinal peristalsis), surgical injuries to internal organs or structures, gangrene of the bowel, peritonitis (infection in the peritoneal cavity) and bowel obstruction.
Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: JR-NJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I awoke in the middle of the night almost two weeks ago with severe pain in my lower right abdomen. I went to the hospital, blood test was ok but CAT scan showed appendicitis. They waited almost 10 hours to get me to surgery during which time the pain got so bad the medication wasn't working anymore. They got my appendix out right before it burst and I have also been having a lot of pain in my abdomen, specifically from my navel to my groin, almost like my bladder hurts (I don't have a urinary tract infection). My surgeon said I still can't lift anything for another week, but other than that I'm able to do anything I want. Anyway, it has been getting better but this takes a lot longer to recover from than they tell you. My suggestion, take it easy and listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. You had major surgery even though everyone treats it like a little nothing.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Complications of appendectomy are starting now, almost 8 weeks after surgery. I have all of a sudden got pain in my lower abdomen. I was misdiagnosed first and sent home with antibiotics and returned 3 days later. A CT scan revealed not only my appendix needed removing but looked like it may have ruptured so I was air lifted to the hospital where they operated, removing my appendix, an abscess and a third of my bowel; huge cut straight up my belly. I was discharged two weeks later and although I was sore for a long time, I was starting to get better every day until the last few. The pain feels a bit like when you've held a full bladder for too long. Not happy. I just want to get back to normal.