Bile Duct Cancer - Stage

What stage is your bile duct cancer?

Please select the white circle:

Can bile duct cancer be prevented?

Since the cause of bile duct cancer is uncertain, specific preventions do not exist. However, preventing liver inflammation and cirrhosis may decrease the risk of developing this cancer. This includes moderating the use of alcohol, being vaccinated for the hepatitis B virus and abstaining from risky behaviors that might cause infection with hepatitis C.

As with all diseases that tend to develop at an older age, living a healthy lifestyle may extend lifespan as well. This includes not smoking, eating a balanced diet, keeping physically active, and maintaining a healthy weight.

Return to Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma)

Comment from: wadih, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I was recently diagnosed with bile duct cancer. At first they thought it was a carcinoid of the liver, where there is a 10 cm tumor, but after biopsy, the diagnosis came back as bile duct cancer and is going to be treated with chemotherapy.

Comment from: Mokhtar, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My father was just diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer). They went in to operate and remove the growth which is extrahepatic, but then once inside, realized they could not remove it. It is slightly entwined with a large group of arteries. We had scans done 5 months ago, but nothing was visible in this area, but now the doctors are saying it is possible to not be visible during the scans due to the location. Upon my own reading and research, I am thinking it may be a little more promising than most other treatments or treatment plans I have read, to possibly try to reduce the size of the growth, possibly via photodynamic therapy, and hopefully get it small enough to remove. I could be way off but I am nervous and want to learn as much as possible and check any potential options and hope for advice from anyone who has been here before or from doctors who may have seen promising results from specific plans of attack.