Stress - Teen Symptoms

If you're under 20, what makes you stressed out? How do you deal with your symptoms?

Please select the black square:

Teen stress

As one example of stress related to a life transition, the teen years often bring about an increase in perceived stress as young adults learn to cope with increasing demands and pressures. Studies have shown that excessive stress during the teen years can have a negative impact upon both physical and mental health later in life. For example, teen stress is a risk factor for the development of depression, a serious condition that carries an increased risk of suicide.

Fortunately, effective stress-management strategies can diminish the ill effects of stress. The presence of intact and strong social support networks among friends, family, and religious or other group affiliations can help reduce the subjective experience of stress during the teen years. Recognition of the problem and helping teens to develop stress-management skills can also be valuable preventive measures. In severe cases, a physician or other health-care provider can recommend treatments or counseling that can reduce the long-term risks of teen stress.

Return to Stress

Comment from: Delany, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am stressed out of family and people who push me over the top with question after question. Just back off from me. People making up stories about me, I have to lock myself away in my bed room in darkness for weeks on end. I have lots more going on with my health like anxiety, depression, vertigo and Arthritis in both knees. I have bad sleep at night, find it hard to sleep every night. That has just the started. I have head pains at the back of my head can't put my hand at the back of my head. I can feel the pain there.