Pulmonary Edema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary edema.

Please select the black square:

What is pulmonary edema?

Edema, in general, means swelling. This typically occurs when fluid from inside blood vessels seeps outside the blood vessel into the surrounding tissues, causing swelling. This can happen either because of too much pressure in the blood vessels or not enough proteins in the bloodstream to hold on to the fluid in the plasma (the part of the blood that does not contain any blood cells).

Pulmonary edema is the term used when edema happens in the lungs. The immediate area outside of the small blood vessels in the lungs is occupied by very tiny air sacs called the alveoli. This is where oxygen from the air is picked up by the blood passing by, and carbon dioxide in the blood is passed into the alveoli to be exhaled out. Alveoli normally have a thin wall that allows for this air exchange, and fluids are usually kept out of the alveoli unless these walls lose their integrity.

Pulmonary edema occurs when the alveoli fill up with excess fluid seeped out of the blood vessels in the lung instead of air. This can cause problems with the exchange of gas (oxygen and carbon dioxide), resulting in breathing difficulty and poor oxygenation of blood. Sometimes, this can be referred to as "water in the lungs" when describing the condition to patients.

Pulmonary edema can be caused by many different factors. It can be related to heart failure, called cardiogenic pulmonary edema, or related to other causes, referred to as non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema.

Return to Pulmonary Edema

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I went to hospital for scheduled surgery (colectomy). I was very dehydrated upon arrival and no one could start an IV. They (surgeon, anesthetist and nurses) tried about 10 times. Finally they got it going on top of the foot. They took me on to surgery and said they would put me under anesthesia and then get on. I came out of surgery thinking everything was ok. My oxygen saturation dropped on top of that I received Soma and some other medications I was not on. Now I was in full blown respiratory failure and no one knows what happened. I think I was overloaded with fluids, then medicines slowed my breathing, and then oxygen saturation kept dropping because of fluids in my lungs (pulmonary edema). I have never had and anesthesia problem. When I walked in and they could not start IV I was real dehydrated. I think I was overloaded with fluid loading my lungs and oxygen saturation dropping chain reaction. Now I have all these diagnoses that happened because I am just about back to normal.

Comment from: SD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had episodes of pulmonary edema for 10 years. It started after a fall off a horse, followed by an extremely bad cough/virus that lasted a couple months. The only occasions I have the symptoms are during sexual episodes when I am flat on my back for an extended period of time, or one incident when I was snorkeling. I do have high blood pressure since menopause. I am 59. I also have left bundle branch block with no evidence of heart attack.