Kidney Stones - Causes

Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?

What causes kidney stones?

It isn't exactly clear what causes kidney stones to form in some people and not others. Usually it requires concentrated urine that allows minerals like calcium to come in close contact with each other. Changes in the acid-base balance (pH) of the urine, how concentrated it is, and the concentration of minerals and chemicals within the urine are all factors that can begin the formation of a stone.

Crystals can form the beginning of the stone and eventually grow large enough to cause problems. Concentrated urine often occurs during an episode of dehydration, setting the stage for the beginning of stone formation. The consequences of that stone, when it is large enough to cause an obstruction, may occur weeks, months, or years later.

Return to Kidney Stones

Comment from: kkkkkkk, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 12

My doctor said he thought hyperparathyroidism caused my kidney stones.

Comment from: k0long7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I went to the emergency room with pain in my side/back and lower abdomen. I also had vomiting, cold sweats and dizziness. They gave me medicine for the pain and a CT scan to determine if I still had stones in my kidneys. I still had 2 kidney stones (one in each kidney) and 1 in my bladder. I had passed one 2 days prior and one when I had the urinary test. I live on an island that I get constant exercise and due to not drinking enough water, I ended up with 5 kidney stones. I still have 2 small kidney stones and am on pain medication.