Kidney Stones - Causes

Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?

Please select the black triangle:

What causes kidney stones?

It isn't exactly clear what causes kidney stones to form in some people and not others. Usually it requires concentrated urine that allows minerals like calcium to come in close contact with each other. Changes in the acid-base balance (pH) of the urine, how concentrated it is, and the concentration of minerals and chemicals within the urine are all factors that can begin the formation of a stone.

Crystals can form the beginning of the stone and eventually grow large enough to cause problems. Concentrated urine often occurs during an episode of dehydration, setting the stage for the beginning of stone formation. The consequences of that stone, when it is large enough to cause an obstruction, may occur weeks, months, or years later.

Return to Kidney Stones

Comment from: khoph, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I went to the emergency room last night with pain that radiated from the front pelvic area to the back. The pain would get worse right before I vomited. The doctor did a CT scan and diagnosed a kidney stone. I told him that I have never had a kidney stone before. He said that it was due to the water in our area. I guess I am going to have to switch to bottled water.

Comment from: goldp, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I get kidney stones consistently; 3 this month already. I had many blasted, and passed many more. First they said it was tea, so I stopped. Now they are saying it is too much broccoli. In the last 2 weeks I have passed 3 stones. Two months ago I had 2 larger ones blasted and they passed. I am looking for an answer to stop the merry go round.