Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Laryngitis facts

• Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (larynx).
  • Causes of laryngitis include upper respiratory infection or cold; overuse of the voice box by talking, singing, or shouting; gastroesophageal reflux disese (GERD), reflux laryngitis; chronic irritation of the vocal cords; smoking; exposure to secondhand smoke; or exposure to polluted air.
  • Laryngitis is contagious only if it is caused by an infection.
  • The most common symptoms of laryngitis are hoarseness, loss of voice, and throat pain.
  • Symptoms of laryngitis in adults include dry, sore throat, pain with swallowing, and a feeling of fullness in the throat or neck. If the laryngitis is caused by an infection additional symptoms of fever, swollen lymph nodes, may be experienced.
  • Symptoms of laryngitis in infants in children include croup, hoarse barky cough, and fever.
  • Chronic laryngitis, in which the symptoms last for weeks may be caused by by gastroesophageal reflux disease, smoking, constant exposure to secondhand smoke, air polution, or alcohol use.
  • Chronic inflammation due to laryngitis may cause the formation of nodules or polyps on the vocal cords.
  • Treatment of laryngitis is usually symptomatic with voice rest, humidfied air, and certain home remedies for symptom relief.
  • If symptoms of laryngitis persist for more than three weeks or continue to recur, contact your health care professional for further evalution.
  • Complications of laryngitis from GERD include pneumonia, chronic bronchitis, and vocal cord paralysis.
Return to Laryngitis

Comment from: Fukutaichou, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I"ve had chronic laryngitis for a year. I"ve stopped singing since then, which is very frustrating. When I had it checked the doctor said that it couldn"t be throat cancer. Therefore, I have nothing to worry about. But I still feel the swelling in the throat. I"ve taken artificial medication and herbal supplements, and yet, it won"t go away. It feels like my throat is a flat tire. It gets exhausted easily and I can"t reach the high ranges that I used to sing.

Comment from: Barbara A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am now into 3 months with chronic laryngitis. Had it last year for 9 weeks. I am taking acid reflux stuff again, touch wood, they are not making me ill like the last lot. I finally got a referral to ENT in 10 days. I am taking herbal things to hopefully improve my immune system, tried all the usual - rest, steam inhalation, etc., but to no avail. I am sick and fed up of straining to have a conversation and I miss singing, I only do it at home but it makes me feel happy. I've been off work for weeks as for the most part have felt run down, tight chested and generally unwell. Will see what next week brings...