Broken Foot - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you broke your foot?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of a broken foot?

Broken bones are painful, especially with weight bearing, causing the person to limp. Pain and limping are the most common symptoms that will prompt a person to seek medical care. Swelling, bruising, and tenderness are the other common symptoms. Because the body tries to protect itself, walking may be too painful or the patient will present with a limp. If the bones are significantly displaced (the bone alignment has been lost or there is an associated joint dislocation) a deformity of the foot may be apparent.

People with altered pain sensation due to peripheral neuropathy (persons with diabetes are a classic example), pain may not be present, and the fracture may be missed initially. This may also occur in patients with spinal cord injury. Bruising, swelling, and deformity may be the only clues to a potential fracture.

Infants and toddlers may ignore the pain of injury and when they see a health care professional, they may refuse to bear weight on their leg. The child may sit comfortably on the parent's lap without complaint until asked or made to stand.

Return to Broken Foot

Comment from: ladybugnms, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was in an automobile accident. Not only did it break my heel bone it knocked half my teeth out shattered my right hand, broke my right wrist and broke the bone from my elbow to my shoulder. All 3 was fixed with surgery and hardware. It also ruptured 3 disk in my lower back. I had been in the hospital for two days before they looked at my foot after I had told them several times it was broken. They took a CT scan to look at it. All they did was wrap it, no cast, nothing. It stayed swollen for months, at first it was almost the size of a watermelon and was black; it looked and felt horrible and it hurt badly. It's been 5 years, it has not healed properly and hurts all the time. I feel I was mistreated by the doctor, he could have done more.

Comment from: dsmith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had instant burning pain, knowing immediately it was hurt. Swelling and severe bruising came next, then I realized that I could not put weight on my foot. I thought my foot was only sprained, since I had a range of motion - I was wrong! One week later the X-ray showed three broken toes.