Broken Foot - Cause

How did you break your foot?

What are the causes of a broken foot?

A fracture, break, and crack all mean the same thing when it comes to a bone injury: the integrity of the bone has been damaged. The cause of injury may be obvious, such as jumping from a height or a heavy object falling and landing on the foot, or it may develop gradually over time, such as the result of the constant stress of walking or running.

• Foot fractures account for 10% of all the broken bones in the body, and the mechanism of injury usually can give a clue as to what bone might be injured.
  • Fractures of the calcaneus (heel bone) usually occur when a person jumps or falls from a height, landing directly on their feet. The force of the landing may also be transmitted up the body to cause fractures of the ankle, knee, hip, and lumbar spine.
  • Injuries to the midfoot, the metatarsals, and phalanges often are caused by a direct blow sustained when a kick goes awry or from a crush injury when a heavy object is dropped on the foot.
  • Twisting injuries can cause bones to break. For example, fractures of the base of the fifth metatarsal occur when the ankle rolls inward and a fragment of the bone is pulled off (avulsed) by the peroneus tendon.
  • The most common causes of foot injuries include falls; crush injuries (including impacts from a heavy object or an automobile accident) missed steps, and stress/overuse injuries.
Return to Broken Foot

Comment from: dsmith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I broke my foot while surfing, when my right, front foot hit the surfboard with the top of my foot.

Comment from: ROSE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

In a motor vehicle accident 2 years ago right foot mid-foot down to the toes were crushed, but I had a fracture blister form on my toes 3-5 days later. Doctors drained the blister, it got infected, hasn't healed yet, and I still can't walk.