Hiccups - Symptoms

Do you have other symptoms associated with hiccups? If so, what are they?

What are the symptoms of hiccups?

Sudden, forceful movement of the diaphragm, that causes the hiccup sound, is the only symptom of hiccups.

Return to Hiccups

Comment from: Dave, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

When I eat red meat sometimes I will hiccup and have to gag up saliva to be able to eat. I have had these attacks for 7 years now and never before that. I know now that I must go very slow with the first few bites and let them settle first because if I eat too fast with meat hiccups will start and be very hard to stop. I don't know what my condition is called but I know it only happens when I eat meat fast. The first time it happened I had to walk around a parking lot for a half hour and gag to spit out the food in my guts. Now as I said I know better and take just a few bites and if I gag that up then it goes down fine; such a strange malady. It certainly makes me feel like Pavlov's dog as it is basically an overproduction of saliva kind of thing.

Comment from: Williams, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

Apart from the hiccups I feel like there's a lump in my throat/right chest (Internal).