Dog Bite (Treatment) - Experience

Were you or someone you know bitten by a dog? Please share your experience.

What should I do if someone is bitten by a dog?

The dog bite victim needs to be taken to a safe place away from the assailant dog to prevent further attack and injury. Since dog bites can cause significant damage beneath the skin, a type of injury that cannot always easily be appreciated, medical care should be accessed by a health care practitioner.

Wounds should be kept elevated and, if possible, washing the wound with tap water may be attempted.

Information should be obtained from the dog's owner about the dog's rabies immunization status, but if this is not possible, hospital, animal control centers, or law enforcement personnel will help gather any required information.

Return to Dog Bite (Treatment)

Comment from: mamamia, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 28

We had visited relatives with an old small dog, for lunch. The dog had played peacefully with our kids, and after lunch was left briefly unattended in the kitchen with our little one. We don't know what exactly happened, we assume our son tried to pat the dog from behind or made a sudden movement, but we heard screaming from the kitchen, and our son ran out. He'd been bitten twice in the arm through his shirt. The first bite immediately left a dark bruise, but the skin wasn't broken, the second bite, at the elbow joint, had broken the skin in one place. I reckon we're lucky the dog was old, its teeth aren't what they used to be. We had all our rabies and tetanus shots recently as we travel frequently, so our son is up-to-date but we called the emergency room at the Children's Hospital, and they said to bring him in right away, so we did.

Comment from: MiniPenny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Recently my dog was in our backyard, we have had problems with the aggressive neighbor's dogs, and I have to break up conflicts through the fence often. However this time I heard crying while I was outside. I ran to him, thinking his paw was stuck in the fence, when I tried to pull him out I noticed that the other dog had a hold of his foot. My dog panicked and bit me. I had two puncture marks in my right arm, near the wrist. Luckily they weren't too deep, but I did have to pry his mouth off of my arm, and then I proceeded to get him back safely. I'm still healing, but besides just a little tenderness, I'm fine.