Ticks - Bite Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a tick bite?

What are tick bite symptoms and signs?

Unfortunately, the tick bite is usually painless and remains that way even after the tick stops the blood meal and falls off of the skin. Later, the bite site may develop itching, burning, redness, and rarely, localized intense pain (some soft tick bites) in some individuals. A few individuals may be sensitive or allergic to tick bites (tick saliva secretions) and develop rash, shortness of breath, swelling, numbness, or paralysis. However, the majority of individuals with tick bites develop no symptoms, and many do not remember getting bitten.

Some immediate symptoms that infrequently or rarely develop during or immediately after a tick bite may be fever, shortness of breath, weakness, vomiting, swelling, weakness or paralysis, headache, confusion, or palpitations. Individuals with these symptoms should be seen immediately by a doctor.

Return to Ticks

Comment from: Russell, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I had a tick enter my body below the neck, the next day I developed extreme pain across the shoulders, and then it went to my chest I could hardly breathe. I went to the hospital and had a massive dose of morphine which helped the doctor put me on colchicine which is a gout medication. I was told it delivered a big dose of anti-inflammatory. It was okay for a few weeks but the same excruciating pain came back, again as first diagnosed. I am now on 4 different pills.

Comment from: mark, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was hiking in the mountains, areas of sagebrush, on Monday, and I developed a migraine type of visual interruption on Thursday, followed by headache on Friday and Saturday. I felt chilled and after showering, discovered tick on underwear line. The tick came out easily after the hot shower and was not full of blood, headache ceased rapidly, possibly left some nasal congestion.