Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia.

Please select the black triangle:

What is hyponatremia (low blood sodium)?

Hyponatremia refers to a lower-than-normal level of sodium in the blood. Sodium is essential for many body functions including the maintenance of fluid balance, regulation of blood pressure, and normal function of the nervous system. Hyponatremia has sometimes been referred to as "water intoxication," especially when it is due to the consumption of excess water, for example during strenuous exercise, without adequate replacement of sodium.

Sodium is the major positively charged ion (cation) in the fluid outside of cells of the body. The chemical notation for sodium is Na. When combined with chloride (Cl), the resulting substance is table salt (NaCl).

The normal blood sodium level is 135 - 145 milliEquivalents/liter (mEq/L), or in international units, 135 - 145 millimoles/liter (mmol/L). Results may vary slightly among different laboratories.

Return to Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium)

Comment from: Drink tender coconut, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I used to drink lot of water and I faced all these problems, even my blood pressure also fluctuating, without knowing the cause (actually lots of water drinking that was culprit). Even the doctor also prescribed some blood pressure tablets but somehow I didn"t take it. When I get up early in the morning I noticed that I was having swollen eyes, luckily I myself identified that it"s because of excess drinking of water. I stopped drinking water (just 1 or 2 glasses) but instead I started drinking tender coconut (as you know, that is equal to your blood plasma) and all the problems were solved.

Comment from: Saundra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am bipolar and I take lots of drugs for anxiety, depression, acid reflux, sinuous infection, sleeping aid. My blood pressure went high and I was put on another drug. I began to have falls and urine infection. When I went to the doctor he discovered my pulse was low and a blood test revealed my sodium was low. The blood pressure drug was causing dehydration and hyponatremia.