Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia.

Please select the white circle:

What is hyponatremia (low blood sodium)?

Hyponatremia refers to a lower-than-normal level of sodium in the blood. Sodium is essential for many body functions including the maintenance of fluid balance, regulation of blood pressure, and normal function of the nervous system. Hyponatremia has sometimes been referred to as "water intoxication," especially when it is due to the consumption of excess water, for example during strenuous exercise, without adequate replacement of sodium.

Sodium is the major positively charged ion (cation) in the fluid outside of cells of the body. The chemical notation for sodium is Na. When combined with chloride (Cl), the resulting substance is table salt (NaCl).

The normal blood sodium level is 135 - 145 milliEquivalents/liter (mEq/L), or in international units, 135 - 145 millimoles/liter (mmol/L). Results may vary slightly among different laboratories.

Return to Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium)

Comment from: Flash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

First experienced asymptomatic hyponatremia was caused by thiazide diuretic. Serum sodium was 127 and I discontinued diuretic use. Two years later, I experienced symptoms of hyponatremia, nausea, vomiting, bloating, headache, and fatigue. I thought it was a virus at first. Symptoms kept recurring every few days for 3 weeks. When I was sick, I couldn't take my medications, then I would improve, resume eating and taking my medications, then would get sick again. On a hunch, I discontinued taking Celexa, and my symptoms disappeared within 2 days, although the headache lingered. After some research online, I concluded that my symptoms were the result of SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) causing hyponatremia. I've scheduled an appointment to see my doctor and get lab tests done to check my sodium levels. Wish I had contacted my doctor sooner, but there was a 'stomach virus' sweeping through my area at the time, and I just assumed that was my problem, although I have a very sturdy digestive system and hadn't even had an episode of vomiting for over 25 years. I should have suspected something else due to the recurrence of symptoms over and over again for weeks. I feel lucky I didn't end up in the hospital with seizures.

Comment from: Sodium, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia 2 years ago. I went to my neurologist for a follow up for seizures and my blood pressure was very low. I felt a little tired, was confused and at times collapsed. So I went to the emergency room (ER) for low blood pressure, confusion, and dehydration. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia. So I was admitted and was put on IVs and stayed until my sodium level reached to 137. The first time I went to the ER, it was at a dangerously low level of 121. Then a month later I ended up in the ER again and it was 131. I was told to stay away from water. Water dilutes the sodium and to limit my fluid intake to no more than a liter a day. I take antidepressant, seizure medication, and medicines for lupus. And the doctor is blaming these medicines for the cause of the hyponatremia. I don't believe that is the case because I've taken these medicines for years. And the neurologist and psychiatrist don't believe that these medicines are the cause for my hyponatremia.