Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Symptoms

What were your child's symptoms associated with IBS?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of IBS in children?

The symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain or discomfort and changes in bowel habits. To meet the definition of IBS, the pain or discomfort should be associated with two of the following three symptoms:

• start with bowel movements that occur more or less often than usual
  • start with stool that appears looser and more watery or harder and more lumpy than usual
  • improve with a bowel movement

Other symptoms of IBS may include

• diarrhea - having loose, watery stools three or more times a day and feeling urgency to have a bowel movement
  • constipation - having hard, dry stools; two or fewer bowel movements in a week; or straining to have a bowel movement
  • feeling that a bowel movement is incomplete
  • passing mucus, a clear liquid made by the intestines that coats and protects tissues in the GI tract
  • abdominal bloating

Symptoms may often occur after eating a meal. To meet the definition of IBS, symptoms must occur at least once per week for at least 2 months.

Return to Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children

Comment from: hikikomoriwithibs, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

My IBS began when I was child (adolescence) in junior high school. At first, my folks had thought that I had some chronic intestinal disease. But after countless doctors and visits to "naika" (internal medicine department), we were finally able to arrive at the conclusion that the diagnosis has to be IBS-D. I am now 23. I still have IBS, and I have tried several medications here in Japan. One that seems to work a bit is dicyclomine. I have always had some bowel incontinence, and I've has a few not-so-good, not-so-few public bowel accidents. Unfortunately, I still do sustain some accidents even today.