Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

What are the causes of a head injury?

By definition, trauma is required to cause a head injury, but that trauma does not necessarily need to be violent. Falling down a few steps or falling into a hard object may be enough to cause damage. Motor vehicle crashes account for about 17% of traumatic brain injuries, while 35% are from falls. The majority of head injuries occur in males.

Penetrating head injuries describe those situations in which the injury occurs due to a projectile, for example a bullet, or when an object is impaled though the skull into the brain.

Closed head injuries refer to injuries in which no lacerations are present.

The brain may also be injured without a direct blow to the skull. The head sits on the neck allowing it to shake, causing the brain to slosh inside the skull and become injured.

Return to Head Injury (Brain Injury)

Comment from: moundmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

One year ago I fell and hit the back of my head on the ice. It didn't knock me out however I heard ringing and was disoriented for several minutes. The next morning I woke up with black eyes. I had no insurance so I didn't see a doctor. I'm still waking up with black under my eyes and have headaches twice a week. It is still tender to the touch where I landed. I was hoping that it would just go away.

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

While some work was being carried out at my home a workman dropped a cast iron drainpipe on my husband's head. He is waiting to see a neurologist next month but he's been left very off balance and can't walk more than a few steps without going off balance, plus he has a constant headache and nausea. This happened about 6 or 7 weeks ago, is it likely to be we hope it only temporary.