Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Please select the black square:

What are the causes of a head injury?

By definition, trauma is required to cause a head injury, but that trauma does not necessarily need to be violent. Falling down a few steps or falling into a hard object may be enough to cause damage. Motor vehicle crashes account for about 17% of traumatic brain injuries, while 35% are from falls. The majority of head injuries occur in males.

Penetrating head injuries describe those situations in which the injury occurs due to a projectile, for example a bullet, or when an object is impaled though the skull into the brain.

Closed head injuries refer to injuries in which no lacerations are present.

The brain may also be injured without a direct blow to the skull. The head sits on the neck allowing it to shake, causing the brain to slosh inside the skull and become injured.

Return to Head Injury (Brain Injury)

Comment from: Paralysis, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

At the age of 12, I went tubing behind a boat. When I was done, I swam to the back of the boat. I got in the boat and instantly began to feel dizzy. I started to feel numbness in my right side and was unaware of my surroundings. The next thing I knew I was being rushed to the hospital. I awoke a few days later in the hospital and was told that I had a head injury. I was sent to a head trauma hospital, and they found out I had a major stroke caused from the stress of bouncing around on the tube. They described it to me like being in a car accident without a seat belt. I went through rehabilitation, and I have recovered completely.

Comment from: Beagle1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I fell in my driveway due to ice and my feet came right out from under me. I hit the back of my head and was confused as to why I was outside. I took pain medication and applied ice. I went to bed and woke up with a headache and am very dizzy. My head feels heavy. I'm not sure if there is any concern.

Stay Informed!