Pulmonary Edema - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary edema?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of pulmonary edema?

The most common symptom of pulmonary edema is shortness of breath or breathlessness. This may be of gradual onset if the process slowly develops, or it can have a sudden onset in the case of acute pulmonary edema.

Other common symptoms may include easy fatigue, more rapidly developing shortness of breath than normal with usual activity (dyspnea on exertion), rapid breathing (tachypnea), dizziness, or weakness.

Low blood oxygen level (hypoxia) may be detected in patients with pulmonary edema. Furthermore, upon examination of the lungs with a stethoscope, the doctor may listen for abnormal lung sounds, such as rales or crackles (discontinuous short bubbling sounds corresponding to the splashing of the fluid in the alveoli during breathing).

Return to Pulmonary Edema

Comment from: allymcb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

They are still trying to figure it out for me- although this sounds spot on. I have been on chemotherapy for cancer which caused my left ventricle to not work well. I had to stop treatment for 5 months. The dry cough which gets worse laying down started in that time. I had pneumonia and another breathless trip to emergency in the middle of the night. I am easily winded, breathless, some chest pain, and feel like I am older than I am.

Comment from: Lesley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My episode of acute pulmonary edema was secondary to a heart attack. I was in the emergency ward of a small country hospital after going by ambulance. Suddenly I was in APO but it is all hazy from here. What I do remember is that I was terrified and was fighting for my life. I had one breath left and no matter what the doctors tried to do I fought them. As they tried to apply a CPAP mask, I felt they were suffocating me but all the while I could not be settled until they sedated me. Finally I was flown by helicopter to the nearest major hospital where I had a stent put in. I am so thankful for the professionalism, the skill and care of all staff as otherwise I wouldn't be here. I look back now and can't believe how close I came to dying.