Laryngitis - Causes

What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?

Please select the black square:

What causes laryngitis?

• Laryngitis is an inflammation of the vocal cords. Most commonly, acute laryngitis is caused by an infection that inflames the vocal cords.
  • Laryngitis may also be caused by voice overuse with excess talking, singing, or shouting.
  • Chronic laryngitis, often described as lasting for more than three weeks may be caused by prolonged alcohol use, smoking, constant exposure to secondhand smoke, exposure to polluted air, and excess coughing.
  • Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) may cause reflux laryngitis and chronic cough, if acid and digestive juices from the stomach reflux up into the esophagus and back of the throat. Sometimes people are aware of the presence of the acid and experience waterbrash, a sour taste in their mouth. Repeat spills of acid onto the vocal cords will cause a chemical irritation and result in inflammation and swelling of the cords that hinders appropriate vibration and generation of sound.
  • Chronic irritation of the vocal cords may also cause polyps or nodules to form on the vocal cords, which may affect the ability of the vocal cords to vibrate, which causes chronic hoarseness.
  • Stroke may also cause vocal cord muscle paralysis and lead to a weak, hoarse voice and swallowing problems.
  • Damage to the muscles or to the nerves that control them may lead to hoarseness. These nerves may be damaged if there has been trauma to the neck or if surgery has been performed and the nerves inadvertently irritated or severed.
  • Tumors in the neck and chest may compress the nerves and cause them to function poorly.
  • Thyroid inflammation and enlargement can also cause irritation of nerves that supply the vocal cord muscles.
  • Not all individuals who have lost their voice have an infection. Not all hoarseness is due to a primary inflammation of the vocal cords.
  • Diphtheria is rarely a cause of laryngitis-like symptoms because most people in the United States have been immunizxed and are protected against this infection. However, with primary immunization decreasing, and people failing to keep their immunizations up to date, there exists a potential for new outbreaks. Recent outbreaks of diphtheria have been documented in Russia and Thialand.
Return to Laryngitis

Comment from: Shukra , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I am working with primary school children for conservation of environment and sustainable waste management, near my house. While teaching the in-classroom and in-the-field practical work I have to use my voice maximum. May be due to overuse of my voice, now I am suffering from laryngitis. The doctor has advised me voice rest.

Comment from: Silverfox, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was on the bus and a man coughed without covering his mouth. I just knew those germs were flying all over the place. That same day all of a sudden my throat starting hurting. I couldn't swallow without feeling pain. The second day I went to the doctor and was diagnose with laryngitis. I was prescribed azithromycin tablets & promethazine-DM syrup. I was informed not to talk for two days and not to drink anything cold, and that's what I am doing. So far my throat is feeling a lot better. I am not talking, I just text on the phone.