Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment

What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium?

Please select the black triangle:

How is hyponatremia (low blood sodium) treated?

Mild chronic hyponatremia may not require treatment other than adjustments in diet, lifestyle, or medications. For severe or acute hyponatremia, treatment typically involves the intravenous administration of fluids and electrolytes. In this case medications are often needed that treat the underlying cause of the hyponatremia as well as medications to manage the accompanying symptoms.

Return to Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium)

Comment from: Colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have chronic low sodium, and hypertension. I now control the low sodium with a level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda mixed with apple cider vinegar or lime juice, to which I add water. The bicarb soda does not affect my blood pressure at all, so is safe for me to take. I add the lime juice or vinegar (acid) so that I can actually drink it. I now think more clearly, do not stammer, and do not walk into the edges of tables, and doorways. I also now have enough energy to enjoy my life.

Comment from: jojo, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease. On my last CBC, my sodium level is 30. The only thing the nurse said was to eat more salt. I have a constant headache and dizziness.