Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment

What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium?

Please select the black square:

How is hyponatremia (low blood sodium) treated?

Mild chronic hyponatremia may not require treatment other than adjustments in diet, lifestyle, or medications. For severe or acute hyponatremia, treatment typically involves the intravenous administration of fluids and electrolytes. In this case medications are often needed that treat the underlying cause of the hyponatremia as well as medications to manage the accompanying symptoms.

Return to Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium)

Comment from: Ribbonrose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have chronic low blood sodium. The doctors do not seem to know how to treat this. I am wondering if I could I take a salt pill.

Comment from: mild7gabe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I had hyponatremia, it was getting pretty bad. They injected me with high level of sodium within 40 minutes. They were very salty. I got cured immediately after.