Swine Flu - Concerns and Risks

Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans?

What are the risk factors for swine flu?

Vaccination to prevent influenza is particularly important for people who are at increased risk for severe complications from influenza or at higher risk for influenza-related doctor or hospital visits. When vaccine supply is limited, vaccination efforts should focus on delivering vaccination to the following people since these populations have a higher risk for H1N1 and some other viral infections according to the CDC:

• All children 6 months to 4 years (59 months) of age
  • All people 50 years of age and older
  • Adults and children who have chronic pulmonary (including asthma) or cardiovascular (except isolated hypertension), renal, hepatic, neurological, hematologic, or metabolic disorders (including diabetes mellitus)
  • People who have immunosuppression (including immunosuppression caused by medications or by HIV)
  • Women who are or will be pregnant during the influenza season
  • Children and adolescents (6 months to 18 years of age) who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy and who might be at risk for experiencing Reye's syndrome after influenza virus infection
  • Residents of nursing homes and other long-term-care facilities
  • American Indians/Alaska natives
  • People who are morbidly obese (BMI ≥40)
  • Health-care professionals (doctors, nurses, health-care personnel treating patients)
  • Household contacts and caregivers of children under 5 years of age and adults 50 years of age and older, with particular emphasis on vaccinating contacts of children less than 6 months age
  • Household contacts and caregivers of people with medical conditions that put them at higher risk for severe complications from influenza
Return to Swine Flu

Comment from: kkhelp, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have this rash on my leg and it is scaring me, it itches and it is awfully painful. I have a VERY itchy eye and I feel like I have to vomit all the time. I have diarrhea really badly anything I eat is gone in a matter of hours. I feel tired all the time and I can't sleep! I feel achy and lazy. I hiccup or something like that and then I have vomit rush up my throat, but I don't throw up. My ear aches really badly and I have a headache all the time! I get the cold chills often. I feel tired and just run down after small activities. I live in Kansas with spreading numbers of swine flu, I don't know the symptoms of this flu, but my parents don't like going to doctors.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I am concerned about swine flu for the simple fact that I'm just one of those people who gets sick very easily. Other than that, I'm not too concerned. It wouldn't affect any travel plans I have, but I am more cautious around people who are sick. Also, I have been keeping extra antibacterial hand sanitizer on hand.