Swine Flu - Concerns and Risks

Are you concerned about contracting swine flu? Has it affected your travel plans?

Please select the black square:

What are the risk factors for swine flu?

Vaccination to prevent influenza is particularly important for people who are at increased risk for severe complications from influenza or at higher risk for influenza-related doctor or hospital visits. When vaccine supply is limited, vaccination efforts should focus on delivering vaccination to the following people since these populations have a higher risk for H1N1 and some other viral infections according to the CDC:

• All children 6 months to 4 years (59 months) of age
  • All people 50 years of age and older
  • Adults and children who have chronic pulmonary (including asthma) or cardiovascular (except isolated hypertension), renal, hepatic, neurological, hematologic, or metabolic disorders (including diabetes mellitus)
  • People who have immunosuppression (including immunosuppression caused by medications or by HIV)
  • Women who are or will be pregnant during the influenza season
  • Children and adolescents (6 months to 18 years of age) who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy and who might be at risk for experiencing Reye's syndrome after influenza virus infection
  • Residents of nursing homes and other long-term-care facilities
  • American Indians/Alaska natives
  • People who are morbidly obese (BMI ≥40)
  • Health-care professionals (doctors, nurses, health-care personnel treating patients)
  • Household contacts and caregivers of children under 5 years of age and adults 50 years of age and older, with particular emphasis on vaccinating contacts of children less than 6 months age
  • Household contacts and caregivers of people with medical conditions that put them at higher risk for severe complications from influenza
Return to Swine Flu

Comment from: Manorama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I sometimes have stuffy nose. It is on and off for more than 10 days. I wonder if I need to get it tested. I don't have sore throat or other symptoms of swine flu.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I am concerned about swine flu for the simple fact that I'm just one of those people who gets sick very easily. Other than that, I'm not too concerned. It wouldn't affect any travel plans I have, but I am more cautious around people who are sick. Also, I have been keeping extra antibacterial hand sanitizer on hand.