Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Please select the white circle:

What is cervical dysplasia?

Cervical dysplasia refers to the presence of precancerous changes of the cells that make up the surface of the cervix, the opening to the womb (uterus). The term dysplasia refers to the abnormal appearance of the cells when viewed under the microscope. The degree and extent of abnormality seen on a tissue sample biopsy was formerly referred to as mild, moderate, or severe dysplasia. In recent years, this nomenclature has been replaced by a newer system. These systems are based upon changes in the appearance of cells visualized when smears of individual cells (cytological changes) or tissue biopsies (histological changes) are reviewed under a microscope. Pap smears obtain samples of the surface cells to determine if they are normal or abnormal and do not provide a diagnosis, which can only be done by a tissue biopsy.

1. Pap smears are described according to the degree of abnormality: ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of uncertain significance), LSIL (low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion) and HSIL (high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. Cells from glandular rather than squamous epithelium may also be described.
  2. Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) is cervical dysplasia that is a pathological diagnosis based on a cervical biopsy or surgically removed cervix. This is indicated by CIN1 (mild), CIN2 (moderate), CIN III (severe). These are all precancer conditions.

These classification systems will be further discussed below.

Return to Cervical Dysplasia

Comment from: Count Mahdrof, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I took a yoga class 35 years ago, and the only thing I took from it was the guaranteed ability to get rid of hiccups. If you sit still, and focus on relaxing your entire body, starting with the crown of the head and ending with the balls of the feet, while breathing as steadily and deeply as possible, your diaphragm will relax. My hiccups are usually gone before I reach the legs.

Comment from: Echo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I knocked my shoulder on the first bathroom doorframe, lost my balance and stumbled forward, slamming my right little toe into the second doorframe. The pain was severe and I had to hang my foot over the bed to sleep. The next day it felt like a piece of broken glass was inside. It bruised up my foot and the toe was swollen and cherry red. I tried buddy taping for the broken toe, but that hurt worse and after a day I took it off. It's been two weeks and I'm just now walking with a mild limp instead of having to ride a cart at the food store. I'm still in very loose soft flip flops.