Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Please select the white circle:

What is cervical dysplasia?

Cervical dysplasia refers to the presence of precancerous changes of the cells that make up the surface of the cervix, the opening to the womb (uterus). The term dysplasia refers to the abnormal appearance of the cells when viewed under the microscope. The degree and extent of abnormality seen on a tissue sample biopsy was formerly referred to as mild, moderate, or severe dysplasia. In recent years, this nomenclature has been replaced by a newer system. These systems are based upon changes in the appearance of cells visualized when smears of individual cells (cytological changes) or tissue biopsies (histological changes) are reviewed under a microscope. Pap smears obtain samples of the surface cells to determine if they are normal or abnormal and do not provide a diagnosis, which can only be done by a tissue biopsy.

1. Pap smears are described according to the degree of abnormality: ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of uncertain significance), LSIL (low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion) and HSIL (high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. Cells from glandular rather than squamous epithelium may also be described.
  2. Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) is cervical dysplasia that is a pathological diagnosis based on a cervical biopsy or surgically removed cervix. This is indicated by CIN1 (mild), CIN2 (moderate), CIN III (severe). These are all precancer conditions.

These classification systems will be further discussed below.

Return to Cervical Dysplasia

Comment from: girlie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

When I was 16 I was told by my doctor I had cervical dysplasia. They sent me for a biopsy right after because of the severity and I went in for laser surgery 2 weeks later. I"m now 27 years old and pregnant with my first child. No problems thus far but worried because I just read it can cause preterm labor.

Comment from: sonsheria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia twice now. The first time was about 10 or 11 years ago and they froze the cells and now I have tested positive for it again and they are going to cut the part that has the cells on my cervix off. I have noticed that I cramp even when I am not on my period and I was wondering if any of you that have had it cramped a lot too. I feel like it is a sign that something is wrong so I went to the gynecologist for a checkup and this is what they found again.