Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help

Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.

Please select the black square:

When should I call a doctor about a bee or wasp sting?

Most bee and wasp stings can be treated at home, but some cases require medical attention. If there is any suspicion at all that a person is having a systemic allergic reaction, seek immediate emergency medical assistance. Signs that a person may be having a systemic reaction include widespread hives or rash, wheezing, difficulty breathing, and swelling in the mouth and throat areas. If a person is stung by an insect whose sting has previously caused an anaphylactic reaction, he or she should also access emergency medical care even if no symptoms are present.

You should also seek medical care if any of the following conditions are present:

• If you have received multiple stings
  • If the sting is located in the eye or eye area
  • If symptoms of infection (pus, drainage, fever, increasing pain and redness) develop
  • If the initial symptoms worsen or persist for longer than 24-48 hours
  • If a sting produces severe symptoms in young children, the elderly, or those with chronic medical problems
Return to Bee and Wasp Sting

Comment from: gale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was stung a week ago and had to be transported to the hospital by EMS. I still have some itching and swelling. I am severely allergic to wasp stings. I had to go back to the doctor several days later when my throat started swelling. The doctor gave me more medicine.

Comment from: Sondra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was stung by a wasp on my finger on Tuesday, it is now Saturday and the whole back of my hand is swollen and itchy.