Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp?

Not ready to share? Read other Patient Comments

What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.

Share your story with others:

MedicineNet appreciates your comment. Your comment may be displayed on the site and will always be published anonymously.Patient Comments FAQs

Enter your Comment

Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other MedicineNet users. (Optional)

Screen Name: *

Gender of Patient: Male Female

Age Range of Patient:

I am a: Patient Caregiver


* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.

By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to MedicineNet, you grant MedicineNet permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. MedicineNet will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for MedicineNet to use your Submission as set forth above.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:

  • Please make sure you address the question asked.
  • Due to the overwhelming number of comments received, not all comments will be published.
  • When selecting comments to publish, our staff will choose those that are educational and complement the topic. Please try to stay on topic.
  • Your comment may be edited. We would typically edit comments to make them clearer and more readable. We will remove personal information such as last names, email and web addresses, and other potentially harmful information.
  • We will not notify you if your comment has been published. We suggest that you check back on the topic article regularly.
  • We do not provide medical or healthcare advice, treatment, or diagnosis.

Thank you for participating!


I have read and agree to abide by the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and the MedicineNet Privacy Policy (required).

To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.

Please select the white triangle:

What are causes of bee and wasp stings?

Most stings arise because an insect perceives a threat to their colony. Bees and wasps commonly sting because an intruder has neared the hive or nest. Loud noises (such as lawn mowers), bright or dark colors, and certain perfumes or perfumed body products may also encourage stings. Some types of insect venom contain pheromones, which attract other members of the colony and induce them to sting.

When bees or wasps sting an individual, they inject venom under the skin of their victim.

  • Honey bees, including killer bees, have barbed stingers that tear off when they try to fly away after stinging, so these bees die after the sting and thus can sting only one time. In this case the stinger and venom sac typically remain embedded in the skin of the victim.
  • Bumble bees, hornets, yellow jackets, and wasps are able to sting multiple times, since their stingers are smooth and can be easily withdrawn from the victim's skin.

Bee and wasp venoms vary according to species but typically contain toxic components as well as antigens that stimulate an immune response.

Return to Bee and Wasp Sting

See what others are saying

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

While I was weeding this morning I felt a painful sing. I thought I had walked into the point of a palmetto leaf. Eight hours later the spot is still red and hurts. The pain at first shot up and down my leg. My leg still hurts. After researching palmetto shrubs and speaking to my brother who has lived here in Florida for 40 years we are certain it was a wasp. I was attacked by a colony in childhood and am hyper-allergic to any kind of insect sting/bite. I just took an antihistamine. Ouch!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Laura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was stung or bitten 13 years ago. I don't know if it was a bee or wasp, but I suspect a wasp since the pain was so intense. I started having trouble breathing, then lost my vision and then went unconscious. I was in anaphylactic shock. I was saved by paramedics on the scene who gave me epinephrine and Benadryl. When they got to me, my face was gray, eyes rolled backed in my head. My friend thought I was dead, but the medicine saved my life. Two days ago I got stung by a bee, it's been 13 years since the first sting/bite. It felt like just a little "ting". But I brushed it off, maybe I didn't get a full sting. I didn't wait to see what would happen. I called emergency and they came within 5 minutes and gave me injections of Benadryl. I did not go into anaphylactic shock this time. I was so scared I would though, but maybe the prompt treatment helped. I carry an EpiPen since the first time, but I have never had to use it since I haven't been stung except for the sting 2 days ago.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

STAY INFORMED

Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!