Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis

Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?

What is the outlook (prognosis) for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?

Vulvodynia is a chronic condition, meaning that it may persist for months to years. In other women it may come and go. While it is not associated with cancer or with any serious medical diseases, it may be a source of chronic pain and emotional discomfort.

Return to Vaginal Pain

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am driven crazy by this vulvodynia. I had it first about 8 years ago and after many tests for bacteria etc. the doctor prescribed amitriptyline starting at 25 mg each night rising to 75 mg. After about a year on this I began to reduce the dose and finally got off it and all was fine. It reoccurred last year and this time the same treatment is doing nothing for me. In fact the symptoms are also occurring around the anus. My husband is fed up because I can"t even contemplate any sexual intimacy. The doctor suggested anesthetic gel applied before intercourse! Lovely - imagine I now need an anesthetic to have sex! And what happens to my husband I wonder! The amitriptyline leaves me with cotton mouth and a thick head each morning. Oh, my doctor also implies that my symptoms could be stress related! They are causing my stress not the other way around. In desperation I am now going to crack open some evening primrose oil capsules.

Comment from: jshum, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am 73 years old and I have vaginal pain (vulvodynia), mostly all of the time. I have tried Premarin because my doctor prescribed it, and I found that the tubes that I used for it further caused me pain. I had a stroke in 2007 and I have limited use of parts of my body. I need something to stop the pain, my doctor has only prescribed creams. I need a pill of some sort to stop the pain. I have been using over the counter medications, and they are not working.