Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis

Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?

Please select the black square:

What is the outlook (prognosis) for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?

Vulvodynia is a chronic condition, meaning that it may persist for months to years. In other women it may come and go. While it is not associated with cancer or with any serious medical diseases, it may be a source of chronic pain and emotional discomfort.

Return to Vaginal Pain

Comment from: CM Wheeler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had vulvodynia for over a year and believe it was caused by nerve damage from a D&C. I had all the tests run and yet the doctors could find nothing wrong so sent me home with no help. I was in tears! My pain started with painful intercourse then burning mouth and finally burning, itching, throbbing vaginal, and sometimes anal, pain. I wear loose cotton clothing (no more tight jeans for me) and soak in very hot water with a bit of baking soda in it for 30 minutes at a time. I take primrose oil orally but may try it topically after reading how that helped others. I also have used cortisone cream, RepHresh vaginal gel and Gold Bond powder. The cortisone takes the swelling down but I was told not to use it too much because it can thin your skin. The RepHresh I use both externally and internally and have found my symptoms lessening. The Gold Bond is nice to kill that itchy feeling and keep the area dry, but I"ll warn it does burn a bit when I first put it on. It"s such a relief to know this is, and has, happened to other women!

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am driven crazy by this vulvodynia. I had it first about 8 years ago and after many tests for bacteria etc. the doctor prescribed amitriptyline starting at 25 mg each night rising to 75 mg. After about a year on this I began to reduce the dose and finally got off it and all was fine. It reoccurred last year and this time the same treatment is doing nothing for me. In fact the symptoms are also occurring around the anus. My husband is fed up because I can"t even contemplate any sexual intimacy. The doctor suggested anesthetic gel applied before intercourse! Lovely - imagine I now need an anesthetic to have sex! And what happens to my husband I wonder! The amitriptyline leaves me with cotton mouth and a thick head each morning. Oh, my doctor also implies that my symptoms could be stress related! They are causing my stress not the other way around. In desperation I am now going to crack open some evening primrose oil capsules.