Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with vulvodynia?

Please select the white circle:

What symptoms are characteristic of vaginal pain and vulvodynia?

Symptoms of vulvodynia include pain that can be perceived as burning or stinging. The pain may also have an aching or throbbing nature. Sometimes, itching is associated with the pain.

The pain may be constant or it may come and go. It can occur during certain activities including sex or exercise. It may also occur at rest. Some women report pain that is localized to one side or one area of the vulva, while others have more generalized and widespread pain.

There are usually no physical signs or changes that accompany vulvodynia, but sometimes there is evidence of inflamed skin.

Return to Vaginal Pain

Comment from: smallen14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have been suffering from intense burning and itching around my vaginal opening and in the area just before my anus. The pain has been off and on for at least 2 years. I've been to numerous doctors and gynecologists who keep telling me I have a bacterial infection, UTI (urinal tract infection), yeast infection and every STD possible. I've tried antibiotics, yeast cream, cortisone, even Neosporin but nothing helped. Warm oatmeal baths provide temporary relief. I can't make love to my husband because of the pain. I can't shave or wax because of the pain. I wake up in the middle of the night in tears because the burning is so intense. I will try this primrose oil and hope for relief.

Comment from: Simone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I get 2 distinct types of pain with vulvodynia. The first is very similar to period pain, i.e., abdominal and down my thighs. The second only involves the vaginal area. However, both are present during the night after urination and seem to be connected to diet. I am on a gluten/yeast/sugar free diet, but sometimes I lapse! I can no longer eat Anzac biscuits, as this results in the first type of pain. Last night I had 2 glasses of champagne, which provoked the second pain. It"s not bad enough to take painkillers, but stops me sleeping. The pain eases during the day. Having sex does not cause either pain. So, back to the strict diet for me!