Mold - Location in Home

Describe where you found mold in your home.

Where can mold be found in homes?

Although shower stalls and basements are typical moist areas prone to the growth of molds, any moist area in the home can harbor mold. Drywall, ceiling tiles, carpets, furniture, ductwork, roofing, paneling, wallpaper, under sinks, and the areas around plumbing pipes are examples of areas in the home that can become infested by mold if the requisite growing conditions are present.

Mold from the outdoors can enter the home through open doors, windows, and vents. It may also become attached to clothing, shoes, and pets and therefore be carried indoors.

Mold can have many different colors and sometimes appears as spots. Additionally, a musty odor may be present. Mold growth may also be hidden underneath carpeting, on the back side of wallpaper, and behind drywall or paneling. Saunas, greenhouses, and construction areas are places where mold is commonly found.

Return to Mold

Comment from: Concord6533, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My husband and I owned a home east of Cleveland, Ohio with bad black mold before knowing anything about the health risks. The home was very shaded (had trees overhanging the roof), had poor drainage (gutters growing saplings, green moss on roof, tree roots blocking downspouts and drain tiles, backyard was swampy until mid-June, crawl space not graded correctly and no vapor barriers, and very drafty due to poor insulation) and had a high water table (about 4 feet below ground). We lived in this home for 12 years when we were 23 to 35 years old (1985 to 1997). We battled the mold with diluted bleach on a weekly basis as it took us years to determine the multiple sources and fix, on a limited budget. I developed severe allergies and numerous bouts of bronchitis. Long term effects, my husband died at 48 of an oligodendroglioma (brain cancer similar to glioblastoma) and I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia at 48. Coincidence? I think not. Do whatever you can to detect and eliminate.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 23

There was a leak in the ceiling in the kitchen which caused the mold. The leasing office has fixed the leak and informed me that I can relocate to another apartment or move out without breaking my lease. My last option is to remain in my apartment.