Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor

Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?

Please select the black square:

When should I call a doctor about a broken toe?

Go to a hospital's emergency department if the following signs or symptoms are present.

• Any symptoms of a possible open (compound) fracture which include open wounds, bleeding, or drainage from near the broken toe
  • Cold, numb, tingling, or unusual sensation in the toes
  • Blue or gray colored skin near the injury
  • If the injured two appears deformed or is pointing in the wrong direction (angulated)

Call a doctor if any of the following occur

• If the broken toe pain worsens or new pain is not relieved by pain medication
  • Sores, redness, or open wounds near the injured toe
  • Bruising or bleeding under the toenail that causes significant pain
  • A cast or splint is damaged or broken.
Return to Broken Toe

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I saw a doctor to make sure that I was right about my toe being broken and to file a claim with Aflac so that I could get paid for it since I have Aflac accidental coverage.

Comment from: LeeBee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had several broken toes over the years. I have been to a doctor when the pain was unbearable, or the swelling was very bad, or the skin was broken, or one time when the toe was dislocated. Other times, I just tape it to the next toe and use ice, elevation, and ibuprofen.

Stay Informed!