Menstruation - Your Period

Describe your typical menstrual period.

What is a typical menstrual period like?

During your period, you shed the thickened uterine lining and extra blood through the vagina. Your period may not be the same every month. It may also be different than other women's periods. Periods can be light, moderate, or heavy in terms of how much blood comes out of the vagina. This is called menstrual flow. The length of the period also varies. Most periods last from 3 to 5 days. But, anywhere from 2 to 7 days is normal.

For the first few years after menstruation begins, longer cycles are common. A woman's cycle tends to shorten and become more regular with age. Most of the time, periods will be in the range of 21 to 35 days apart.

Return to Menstruation

Comment from: ramya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am experiencing abnormal periods, morning there will be a flow but not in the night; same repeats in the morning again. When I consulted a doctor she said me to reduce my weight. My weight is 78 kgs.