Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

What are hot flashes?

A hot flash is a feeling of warmth that spreads over the body, which often begins in the head and neck regions. Hot flashes are a common symptom experienced by women prior to, and during the early stages of the menopausal transition. However, not all women approaching the menopause will develop hot flashes.

Return to Hot Flashes

Comment from: Michigan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My hot flashes occur every hour. Daytime isn't great, but nights are terrible. It takes only the slightest movement, at night, for the heat to take over from my head to my toes. I end up throwing all the covers off to make it through and then am freezing following that. It makes for exhaustion all day. Exercise is part of my life and hasn't helped and I have even tried Swedish tree pollen which does nothing for me. I don't want hormone replacement.

Comment from: Trouble16, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 54, two years post-menopause and the hot flashes started almost immediately after my last period. They went away for a few months, but now they have returned worse than ever. One at least every two hours, 3 or 4 a night, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in so long. I keep the ice water next to my bed but I feel so dehydrated from the fan blowing in my face all night that I gulp it all down. I'm up all night either sweating or going to the bathroom. I am feeling very depressed, I'm more tired now than I was when the kids were babies, I exist in a state of chronic fatigue and racing thoughts from sleep deprivation. I work full time and don't know how much longer I can do this. I got my period at 10 years of age, had surgery for anemia from fibroid tumors in my 40s, and thought I'd finally get a break from the female troubles in my 50s, no such luck. I look at snow on the ground and all I think about is rolling around in it like my dog does. Hoping to stick it out au natural without hormone replacement therapy but it is hard.