Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

What are hot flashes?

A hot flash is a feeling of warmth that spreads over the body, which often begins in the head and neck regions. Hot flashes are a common symptom experienced by women prior to, and during the early stages of the menopausal transition. However, not all women approaching the menopause will develop hot flashes.

Return to Hot Flashes

Comment from: flash, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had my first hot flash 6 years ago when I was 37 years old. I was 8 months pregnant with my 7th child. They lasted for hours and left me feeling weak and shaky. They started in my head and then would roll through my entire body making me feel like I was burning up inside. My cheeks would get red and I would feel sick to my stomach and get very anxious. The longest one that I had lasted for 7 hours. I saw my obstetrician, a cardiologist and an internist and none of them could find anything wrong. My obstetrician started me on Zoloft and the hot flashes stopped. I weaned off the Zoloft last month and they started again. I am going to try flaxseed. I have a family history of stroke so I don't want to take hormones. I have loved reading others' experiences. It helps me to know that I am not alone in this phase of my life.

Comment from: JENNY E., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am a 30 year old female and I have been experiencing hot flashes for 4 months that seem to last a little over an hour each time, couple of times a day. I can't seem to control my body temperature, then I get the chills and my face is so hot and turns red. I have taken every blood test and all results check out just fine.