Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Please select the black triangle:

What are hot flashes?

A hot flash is a feeling of warmth that spreads over the body that begins in the head and neck regions. Hot flashes are a common symptom experienced by women prior to, and during the early stages of the menopausal transition. However, not all women approaching the menopause will develop hot flashes.

Return to Hot Flashes

Comment from: pmw148, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 51 and started with hot flashes only at night about four months ago. They gradually became more frequent and are now about every hour during the day. At night, I take one Benadryl and .5 mg klonopin and sleep until about 2-3 and then the flashes start. The burning starts in my face and spreads down to about my waist and I lightly sweat. During the day I just suffer through it because by the time I would remove a sweater or go outside, they would be over and I'd be cold. At night I have a wonderful 'cooling pillow' which has a gel sheet on one side. It gets cool from room temperature. When I get a night flash I put my face on the gel pillow and it helps cool me down. When it passes I put the pillow on the floor so it will be cool for the next one. My face gets beet red and I am usually very pale so use very fair foundation. When I get red, my makeup looks terrible. Misery.

Comment from: helpful advice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I began getting hot flashes in the first trimester of my pregnancy. My child almost 4 and I"m in the middle of one that has lasted for about 6 hours now. So I believe I"m either pregnant or peri-menopausal, because even my longest ones while pregnant were only a couple of hours. (Only that"s a laugh right?) I thought I"d share a quick, cheap way to make them more bearable with you all. Wet a washcloth and sprinkle peppermint extract across. Thanks to this little trick I barely even sweated pushing my little munchkin into the world, and somehow survived my third trimester falling in the summer (June to August) in the south. Hope it helps!