Bug Bites and Stings - Tick Removal

How do you prevent tick bites? If you've found a tick on someone, how did you remove it?

Please select the black triangle:

What should I do if I find a tick on me or my child?

Wearing light-colored clothing makes it easier to spot ticks. Check for ticks after outdoor activities. If you find a tick, remove it with tweezers. Grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and pull it straight out. Then drop it in a plastic bag, seal it up, and throw it away. Early removal of a tick is important because a tick generally has to be on the skin for 36 hours to transmit Lyme disease. People who want to get a tick tested for disease or other information could check with their local health departments to see if they offer tick testing. After removing a tick, you can cleanse the area of the tick bite with antiseptic, such as rubbing alcohol or soap and water.

Return to Bug Bites and Stings