Gastritis - Treatment

What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for gastritis?

Treating the underlying cause of gastritis is the most effective way to reduce or resolve gastritis. For example, if the cause of gastritis is Helicobacter pylori, then treatment with appropriate antibiotics (usually a combination of amoxicillin and clarithromycin [Biaxin, Biaxin XL] plus bismuth subsalicylate [Pepto-Bismol]) should be effective.

If NSAIDs are the cause, then stopping the drug should be effective. However, other treatments are often used in addition to those that treat the specific cause. These treatments may reduce or stop symptoms of gastritis and allow gastric mucosal healing to begin regardless of the underlying cause. These medications include antacids (Maalox , Rolaids, and Alka-Seltzer), histamine (H2) blockers (famotidine [Pepcid AC], ranitidine [Zantac 75]) and PPI's or proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole [Prilosec], pantoprazole [Protonix], esomeprazole [Nexium]). They all function by different mechanisms to reduce acid in the stomach but usually do not treat the underlying cause of gastritis.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: teenymeany, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have gastritis and esophagitis, I had an endoscopy done about 2 years ago. I was prescribed Nexium but my insurance wouldn't pay for it so I bought OTC omeprazole which I used for a month or so. My pain went away but now it has returned. I now just take simethicone and antacids which help some but I'm wondering if I should start taking a proton pump inhibitor again. I tried H2 blocker (ranitidine) but with little to no relief. I went to a new doctor and he said he doesn't think my bloating and pain are caused from the gastritis but thinks I have IBS, I don't agree. My main problem is the gas and being able to release it, simethicone helps but I still think there should be something else I can do.