Gastritis - Treatment

What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for gastritis?

Treating the underlying cause of gastritis is the most effective way to reduce or resolve gastritis. For example, if the cause of gastritis is Helicobacter pylori, then treatment with appropriate antibiotics (usually a combination of amoxicillin and clarithromycin [Biaxin, Biaxin XL] plus bismuth subsalicylate [Pepto-Bismol]) should be effective.

If NSAIDs are the cause, then stopping the drug should be effective. However, other treatments are often used in addition to those that treat the specific cause. These treatments may reduce or stop symptoms of gastritis and allow gastric mucosal healing to begin regardless of the underlying cause. These medications include antacids (Maalox , Rolaids, and Alka-Seltzer), histamine (H2) blockers (famotidine [Pepcid AC], ranitidine [Zantac 75]) and PPI's or proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole [Prilosec], pantoprazole [Protonix], esomeprazole [Nexium]). They all function by different mechanisms to reduce acid in the stomach but usually do not treat the underlying cause of gastritis.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: Chad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

After stent placement 8 years ago I was put on low dose aspirin. Then I started having digestive issues; diarrhea, epigastric pain, and indigestion. Doctors could not diagnose the cause. I was tested for H. pylori, gallbladder, pancreatitis, lactose intolerance, Crohn's, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), celiac and had 3 colonoscopies. All negative. I had 8 months of pain, malabsorption and weight loss (25 lb.). During this time I took many NSAIDs because the doctors would not give me painkillers. I found out later this just made my condition worse. Finally I had an endoscopy and gastritis/duodenitis was the diagnosis and I was prescribed 40 mg omeprazole. I felt good almost immediately. After 2 years I was feeling pretty good and quit taking pills. I thought I was cured. But after 3 weeks symptoms returned. Now I am on Protonix 40 mg and don't think I'll ever be 'normal' again. Much of what I have read says that these problems usually disappear within weeks/months of beginning PPIs (proton-pump inhibitors). Not for me.

Comment from: patyanne, Male (Caregiver) Published: September 29

My husband has had a couple of severe gastritis attacks at night. I thought he was dying and having a heart attack. The amount of gas he was bringing up was enormous and it lasted about half an hour and he was in a lot of pain. But after having bicarbonate in water and an aspirin the symptoms subsided. He chooses not to go to a doctor. He had a couple of beers with his dinner before the last attack. He takes blood pressure tablets.