Gastritis - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?

What causes gastritis?

A major cause of both acute and chronic gastritis is infection of the stomach mucosa by a bacterial species named Helicobacter pylori. Usually, this bacterium first infects the stomach antrum (stomach mucosa without acid-producing cells) acutely and may progress to infect most or all of the stomach's mucosa over time (chronic gastritis) and remain there for years. This infection generates an initial strong inflammatory response and eventually, a long-term chronic inflammation with intestinal cell changes may develop. Another major cause of acute and chronic gastritis is the use (and overuse) of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

However, there are many other causes of gastritis; the following is a list of common causes of both acute and chronic gastritis; chronic gastritis may occur with repeated or continual presence of most of these causes:

• Bacterial, viral and parasitic infections
  • Certain drugs (cocaine)
  • Alcohol
  • Bile reflux
  • Fungal infections
  • Allergic reactions
  • Stress reaction
  • Radiation
  • Certain food poisonings (infectious and chemical)
  • Trauma

In general, infectious agents, especially Helicobacter pylori, and NSAIDs are responsible for the majority of gastritis patients.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: Kenz, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Well, the known cause for gastritis in my case was that I don"t eat meals properly. I pass meals and stay hungry without anything for hours. Sometimes I eat at 2 or 3 in the afternoon for the whole day. I had this in the past and some over the counter medication eased the pain. Also I couldn"t get up, my stomach hurt really bad and then my sister asked me to drink a glass of soda and it kind of soothed the pain too!

Comment from: cshep, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

The cause was ibuprofen. A prescription for it was given to me by the emergency room doctor for back pain which turned out to be gallstones. I did have an endoscopy done to confirm what I was dealing with was chronic gastritis. It is awful and it all could have been avoided had proper testing been done in the emergency room. There should be more awareness regarding NSAIDS and their side effects. It's been almost two years I'm on Nexium and I still have symptoms and probably always will based on what my gastroenterologist says.