Drug Allergy - Preparedness

If you have a known drug allergy, how are you prepared to handle an emergency or possible exposure?

What should I do if I have an allergic reaction to a drug?

Contact your doctor if you develop a rash, itching, hives or any symptom related to drug allergy. If your Lip or tongue swells or you have shortness of breath go the emergency room immediately; do not drive yourself, call 911.

Return to Drug Allergy

Comment from: luvmygirls, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been allergic all my life. From dust to mold, cats, dogs, horses, cows, trees, grass, absolutely everything. Now I am allergic to my allergy medicine. I have always taken Zyrtec. Now when I take it, I break out in hives and my asthma acts up. So I thought I would try Allegra, same thing happened. Next I tried Claritin, yup, same thing happened. I have made an appointment with an allergist for next week so I can hopefully get some answers. But in the meantime all I can take is Benadryl, which sucks, because it puts me to sleep and doesn't even really work and I can't take it while I'm at work. I have tried to google it to see if anyone else has this problem and I can't find anything. My allergies are debilitating. I sneeze repeatedly hundreds of times in a row, my eyes water and itch and my face gets swollen.