Urinary Incontinence in Children - Daytime

Does your child have daytime incontinence? Please share your family's experience.

What causes daytime incontinence in children?

Common causes of daytime wetting include voluntary holding of urine, urinary tract infection, constipation, and wetting with giggling. Girls are more commonly affected than boys. Less common causes include more serious issues such as neurological causes (neurogenic bladder), urinary tract anatomic abnormalities, and diabetes. Voluntary holding of urine is the most common cause of daytime wetting in young children. This is often observed in 3- to 5-year-olds who don't want to take the time to use the toilet. They are just too busy to take a break and will often fidget, squirm, and hold on to their perineal areas. Most children grow out of this on their own as they get older.

Return to Urinary Incontinence in Children

Comment from: Capmommy, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My son had the same issue with urination. He's 5 and was fully potty trained when he started having these accidents. Turned out it was nothing with his bladder but he was suffering from constipation. Pediatrician examined his belly and felt the stool, and she put him on Miralax every day. The urinary incontinence was due to the constipation. He has been on it for 4 days already and would you believe it, no accidents. Thank goodness! Please have that checked. I would have never guessed it. We were headed to a urologist.

Comment from: WorriedMom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My son (9 years) used to bed-wet till last year. Now the bed-wetting at night has stopped, but he passes urine involuntarily while awake. I have taken him to doctors two times but they say he'll outgrow this. He is really suffering, and struggling to stop the urine from leaking out. Though I always I am supportive and try to reassure him after he wets his clothes, I know he's feeling very bad inside.