Hypercalcemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hypercalcemia.

Please select the white circle:

Hypercalcemia Introduction

Calcium is a mineral that is important in the regulation and processes of many body functions including bone formation, hormone release, muscle contraction, and nerve and brain function. Hypercalcemia is the term that refers to elevated levels of calcium in the bloodstream.

Regulation of Calcium

Calcium levels are tightly regulated in the body. Calcium regulation is primarily controlled by parathyroid hormone (PTH), vitamin D, and calcitonin.

• Parathyroid hormone is a hormone produced by the parathyroid glands, which are four small glands that surround the thyroid and are found in the anterior part of the lower neck.
  • Vitamin D is obtained through a process that begins with sun exposure to the skin, the process then continues in the liver and kidneys. Vitamin D can also be found in foods such as eggs and dairy products.
  • Calcitonin is produced in specialized cells in the thyroid gland.

Together, these three hormones act on the bones, the kidneys, and the GI tract to regulate calcium levels in the bloodstream.

Return to Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)

Comment from: linnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I am at my wit's end with calcium levels almost always elevated, from 10.6 to 11.0, and an occasional 12.0. This hypercalcemia has been going on for about 10 years! I have seen 2 endocrinologists who simply say it must be my normal. My general physician (GP) is still telling me my levels are making me sick. I am so tired of feeling sick; upset stomach and nausea always, headaches now, aches, depression, fatigue, loss of appetite and loss of interest. I just never feel right. My level last week was 12.0. I have had breast cancer. Last year I had a 24 hour calcium urine test. It was normal. My GP thinks he has covered everything. I just can't stand to live like this. I have tried antidepressants, no luck. Also, in answer to another post taking lithium, it definitely elevates calcium levels.

Comment from: cookieb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I began having depression due to extreme pain in my bones, felt dizzy, and had calcium deposit in my shoulder. I went to my tribal clinic where the doctor said I had hypercalcemia, my blood calcium was in the high range, and he believed I had hyperparathyroidism. I told my regular doctor what he said, and well, my regular doctor said my tribal doctor was wrong. But after about a year of nagging he prescribed a scan, and one adenoma was found on one parathyroid. But because of my age nothing was going to be done. I decided to dump him and take responsibility for myself, got into hospital and within a month had 3 1/2 parathyroid glands removed due to tumors. After about 2 months I was all recovered and felt reborn. Today I am 81 and no problems.