Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Prevention

If you have low potassium, in what ways do you try to prevent it?

Please select the white circle:

How can low potassium be prevented?

The body is usually able to maintain potassium levels within the normal range as long as there is adequate potassium in the diet. When the body loses potassium due to a short-term illness, the body is able to compensate for the loss. When the potassium loss is be ongoing, it is important for the patient and health-care professional to anticipate the loss, and consider routine potassium replacement.

Return to Low Potassium (Hypokalemia)

Comment from: kdgaspard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I suffer from cramps after working in the yard or most physical activity. The cramping is not always due to excessive sweating. I experience the same cramping during the winter months when working and not sweating. The cramps are so severe that I have taken as many as 24 potassium pills before they will subside. The cramping varies from leg muscles, hands, feet. Under most bouts of cramps I will take 6-8 potassium pills. But during the severe bouts, I will take the same amount but in 30 minute intervals before the cramps will subside. I do not take diuretics or any other medication that would cause this condition. I take no ongoing medication at all.

Comment from: brjess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

This started with a rash on my neck area and I was given steroids for 5 days 3 pills a day. The next day I had a blood test done, as part of my yearly physical, and potassium level was 2.8. I was fine before the steroids, I think that was what it was from. I had to go to emergency room 3 times and my blood pressure was high, usually around 115. I am off potassium pills as my doctor doesn't know what caused it to drop so low. Every nerve cell in my body ached and I am eating more potassium still but I feel weak. It takes time to build back up I am told, just don't know what is causing the depletion. I don't vomit or take any medicine at all. Very scary.