Chest Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with chest pain.

Please select the black square:

Chest pain introduction

Chest pain is one of the most common complaints that will bring a patient to the emergency department. Seeking immediate care may be lifesaving, and considerable public education has been undertaken to get patients to access medical care when chest pain strikes. While the patient may be worried about a heart attack, there are many other causes of pain in the chest that the health care professional will need to consider. Some diagnoses are life-threatening, while others are less dangerous.

Deciding the cause of chest pain is sometimes very difficult and may require blood tests, X-rays, CT scans and other tests to sort out the diagnosis. Often though, a careful history taken by the health care professional may be all that is needed to find the answer.

Return to Chest Pain

Comment from: FIREBIRDBABY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had three episodes in last week, of chest pain in left side and bottom. My lip goes numb and left hand hurts with tingling and left eye feels weird.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My chest pain was more like a burning. It was just below the collar bone from left to right. When I went to the doctor, they took me to the hospital because my blood pressure was high. They took a few EKGs, C scan, blood, etc. I stayed there overnight. They found nothing wrong with the tests. I was sent home. They said it could be stress, overwork, etc. Twenty one days have passed and yesterday I had to open my windows which are very hard to open. Last night I had the same burning pain under the collar bone, near the arm pit.