Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Broken toe facts

• Broken toes are often caused by trauma or injury. Prolonged repetitive movements can cause a type of broken toe called a stress or hairline fracture.
  • Symptoms of a broken toe include
    • pain,
    • swelling,
    • stiffness,
    • bruising,
    • deformity, and
    • difficultly walking.
  • Possible complications of a broken toe include
    • nail injury,
    • compound fracture,
    • infection,
    • deformity, or
    • arthritis.
  • Seek immediate medical care if you suspect an open fracture of the toe; if there is bleeding; cold, numb, or tingling sensation; if the toe appears deformed or is pointing in the wrong direction; or blue or gray color to the injured area.
  • A broken toe is diagnosed with a medical examination, which may include X-rays.
  • To help decrease pain and swelling in a broken toe, elevate the foot, ice the injury, and stay off the foot.
  • Depending on the severity of the fracture, the toe may need to be put back into place (reduced), and some compound toe fractures may require surgery.
  • Pain from a broken toe can usually be controlled with over-the-counter pain medication.
  • Buddy taping (taping the toe to an adjacent toe can be used to splint a fractured toe.
  • Most broken toes heal without complications in six weeks.
Return to Broken Toe

Comment from: Phoenix17, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Like the similar post here, I broke my 2nd toe (right foot) when I was leading out a horse to be turned out in the early morning. He was spooked and splayed out his front legs, and his foot (hoof!) came down on my right foot but just smashed my toe. I had x-rays that morning. It was fractured. The doctor said nothing much to do. He taped it to my big toe. I could walk if I didn't bend my foot! Now 18 years later, I'm woken up at night with that toe burning (like this morning). The burning pain goes away in about a half hour. I'm grateful it doesn't last all the time!

Comment from: PS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

Someone stamped over my little toe on the left foot with heels during a dance program for women. I removed my footwear and continued to dance for a few minutes after the incident ignoring the sharp pain. When the pain was unnatural, I examined my toe to find a small cut and bleeding at the bottom and the toe itself away from the other toes. There was no swelling. I went on with life with pain killers for 5 days before I got an x-ray, and fracture diagnosed. Buddy strapping is in place but I have almost no pain other than a small niggling pull sometimes. Been advised not to walk for 3 weeks, I am not able to fully stop so, trying to limit my walk. It has been a week, hoping it heals soon. Not sure if I can wear shoes, I feel it supports my foot.