Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

Broken toe facts

• Broken toes are often caused by trauma or injury. Prolonged repetitive movements can cause a type of broken toe called a stress or hairline fracture.
  • Symptoms of a broken toe include
    • pain,
    • swelling,
    • stiffness,
    • bruising,
    • deformity, and
    • difficultly walking.
  • Possible complications of a broken toe include
    • nail injury,
    • compound fracture,
    • infection,
    • deformity, or
    • arthritis.
  • Seek immediate medical care if you suspect an open fracture of the toe; if there is bleeding; cold, numb, or tingling sensation; if the toe appears deformed or is pointing in the wrong direction; or blue or gray color to the injured area.
  • A broken toe is diagnosed with a medical examination, which may include X-rays.
  • To help decrease pain and swelling in a broken toe, elevate the foot, ice the injury, and stay off the foot.
  • Depending on the severity of the fracture, the toe may need to be put back into place (reduced), and some compound toe fractures may require surgery.
  • Pain from a broken toe can usually be controlled with over-the-counter pain medication.
  • Buddy taping (taping the toe to an adjacent toe can be used to splint a fractured toe.
  • Most broken toes heal without complications in six weeks.
Return to Broken Toe

Comment from: nanodelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Two and a half weeks ago, my family went to an island. While at the beach, I stubbed my left foot, 2nd toe in from pinkie, on a hidden 4 x 4 in the sand (there had been a lot of beach erosion from the flooding system that hit severely in October). The toe was canted at a slightly odd angle, and turned purple. It didn't stop me from swimming, but I wasn't on beach for that long. Back at the motel, I tried ice/cool packs, naproxen, and OxyContin. All helped. Fast forward 2.5 weeks; it is still sore, still a bit larger than normal. I get that achy-bone feeling that I got a few years back when I broke my ring finger and needed surgery. Even about 14 days later, my pinky toe had some black and blue on the inside facing the toe that I either busted, dislocated or badly sprained (buddy-binding only helped at the very beginning).

Comment from: nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I fractured my second toe over 6 weeks ago. I am still having pain and it is curved to the left. I went to urgent care and wore a boot for five weeks but I am still having issues. I do not know what to do. They just told me it takes time.