Floaters - Surgery

Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

Can eye floaters be removed with surgery?

Breaking up of eye floaters by the use of a YAG laser has been advocated by some, but there is no evidence that this is both safe and effective. The use of a laser also poses significant risks to the vision in what is otherwise a healthy eye. The vitreous itself can also be surgically removed by a procedure called vitrectomy. This involves multiple incisions into the eye and is reserved for situations in which there is a large amount of non-clearing blood or inflammatory debris within the eye. Surgery of either type should not be performed in patients with the common type of eye floaters due to vitreous syneresis or posterior vitreous detachment.

Return to Floaters

Comment from: bikergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have floaters in my left eye. I went to the doctor and he said they do not treat them unless I am a pilot. I can't see out of it. It affects my entire vision now. I will see him again on Monday. My eye did get used to them for a little while but now it is worse.

Comment from: Floater Sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had two vitrectomies to remove my floaters. I am 46 years old and could not picture having to live the rest of my life with them. I had the floaters for a year and was very depressed and felt like I could not face life and enjoy quality of life. It is six months since the right eye and three months since the left eye and I am only now starting to feel that my eyes are clearing nicely as one is affected afterwards by a lot of post operation debris. I am very happy with my decision and feel very fortunate that I found an awesome retinal specialist who could help get my quality of life back again! I just want all the floater sufferers out there to know I feel for you, having floaters is a very depressing and debilitating thing to have and it is such a pity that floaters is a thing that the eye doctors expect you to live with. I know for a fact that if all eye doctors, retinal specialists and ophthalmologists suffered from floaters they would not be able to operate on their patients! There should be a pair of glasses that family members and eye doctors put on so they can see what we floaters sufferers are putting up with. I feel very passionately about fighting for the floater sufferer"s cause... pity we are not taken seriously by the eye profession! Hopefully one day there will be a safe cure.