Floaters - Disappearance

Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.

Please select the black square:

Do eye floaters go away?

Most eye floaters decrease in size and darkness with time. Some of this is due to actual absorption of the floater through the natural processes within the eye. Eye floaters may also shift in position within the eye, resulting in less of a shadow effect. In addition, the nerves within the brain adapt to and often become used to the presence of eye floaters, ignoring them in a manner similar to the way a person only notices the feeling of shoes on their feet when they think about it. Eye floaters eventually tend to become less bothersome.

Return to Floaters

Comment from: Gyadi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I got hit in the eye by my son's elbow! I saw a bright light and got a lot of tears in my eye. I had my eye checked and have now got the result that I have PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) I will have floaters for the rest of my life! I am 44! I really would be ok with that if there is no danger of anything else. As annoying as they are I am scared it will lead to something worse. I have been checked and thankfully don't have retinal detachment and almost 3 months has passed after the accident.

Comment from: Tarique, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

Never knew vitreous could liquefy. I was watching TV and just noticed a string in the corner of my right eye. I thought it must be tired eyes, went to bed and looked out the window and the string was still there. That was 10 years ago! I"m 50 now. No satisfactory explanation was given. No remedy works though I believe reduction in blood sugar levels coupled with preventing shocks to the head area will go some way in reducing occurrence of these spots. Stay away from high gravity rides at parks as well.