Floaters - How Common?

At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?

Please select the black square:

How common are eye floaters?

Eye floaters are extremely common in adults and are a leading symptom that causes people to see an ophthalmologist. Almost everyone has eye floaters by age 70, although some people are much more aware of them than others. It is unusual for children under 16 years of age to notice eye floaters.

Return to Floaters

Comment from: A.steven.sian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I am 21 years old and I started having a floater in my left eye. It happened 2 days ago and I'm getting worried. I wonder if this will go away. I only have one black spot. It is very annoying.

Comment from: RSandman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My floater first appeared as a child. It rose to the level of noticeable annoyance during college. It worsened to affect daily tasks at 48. How often have I 'gotten' a floater? Good grief, that's like 'how often do you breath!' You just live with them; you glance up or around to shift them out of the way; you ignore them when doing active tasks; you sigh and wish them away every few seconds because they continually drift through your vision focus area, every day, every minute, every second you have your eyes open.