Floaters - How Common?

At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?

How common are eye floaters?

Eye floaters are extremely common in adults and are a leading symptom that causes people to see an ophthalmologist. Almost everyone has eye floaters by age 70, although some people are much more aware of them than others. It is unusual for children under 16 years of age to notice eye floaters.

Return to Floaters

Comment from: AgingGraceful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The floaters started today. I just turned 56 and have always had very bad eyes. My goodness, the human body moves forward for years and then starts moving backwards. I wonder if this is caused by contact lenses. I will start to wear my eyeglasses more and see.

Comment from: milledj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was very nearsighted, but had radial keratotomy (RK) surgery in 1987. It went well, but about 20 years later, my sight started degrading. Anyway, I have a very flat cornea because of the RK. This year, 2013 on April 17th, I started seeing flashes on the edge of sight on my right eye, my worst. I went to the doctor right away, and she thought I am suffering from the posterior vitreous detachment. However, it wasn"t bad enough to do anything but watch... I go back in a few weeks. Currently, the flashes have diminished, but I have a nasty floater that looks like a wad of fuzz with a long stringer in my right eye which is very distracting. I am 57, will be 58 in July.