Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) - Diagnosis

What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of a trich infection?

Is There a Test For Trichomoniasis?

To tell if you have trichomoniasis, your doctor will do a pelvic exam and lab test. During the pelvic exam, your doctor may be able to see small red sores inside the vagina or on the cervix. Your doctor will also take a fluid sample from the vagina to look for the parasite under a microscope or to send to a lab. Other tests, like a vaginal culture or DNA test can also be used for testing.

If you have trichomoniasis, ask your doctor if you should be tested for other STIs too.

Return to Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection)

Comment from: nicky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was informed by my obstetrician-gynecologist yesterday that I had trichomoniasis after a PAP test I had over a month ago. On the last PAP I had it showed no signs of any problems.

Comment from: soli, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a Pap done July 2013 by my obstetrician, no symptoms and nothing came up. I got back with my boyfriend and father of my son in August 2013 (we separated before I had found out about the pregnancy in April 2013). In January 2014 I went in for my 6 week postpartum checkup. I didn't know I was having symptoms (discharge, itchiness, etc.) due to the postpartum recovery process, until I got the call from my obstetrician telling me I had trich.