Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) - Causes

What caused your trichomoniasis infection and risk during pregnancy?

Does Trichomoniasis Cause Problems During Pregnancy?

Pregnant women with trichomoniasis may have babies who are born early or at a low birth weight. Babies born early or too small can have health problems.

Metronidazole can be used during pregnancy. But some doctors feel that it's best to not use metronidazole during the first 3 months, when the baby's organs are forming. Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of treatment during pregnancy. Keep in mind that without treatment, you can give the infection to others.

Return to Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection)

Comment from: RHONDA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I found out about my trichomoniasis infection on my 2nd visit to the hospital with abdominal pain. The first visit was a CAT scan, and they found nothing. The next day my husband and I were having sex, and it hurt. When we were through and I wiped, it was like pus. Later that night I woke up hurting again, this time they did a pelvic exam and diagnosed it. Married almost 32 years. Filed for divorce 10-09-2014.

Comment from: Faithful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I thought of going to my grave with this but after the last few weeks I just wanted to put this information out before others get divorced or leave a relationship unnecessarily. I was diagnosed with trichomoniasis several weeks ago during a routine Pap. I've been married for over 11 years but I immediately knew that there was a problem either with the test or the information that is being put out regarding this STD. I told my husband who was immediately tested as well. His test was negative. I have never cheated on my husband. After long conversations with the doctor and the nurses at the clinic I was finally told that they could not confirm that this is just an STD. They don't have a lot of information as to how it is contracted and so solely stating that it is an STD is false information. There are obviously other ways of getting this disease. So before breaking up a home please continue to do research and keep an open mind.