Knee Injury - Causes

What caused your knee injury?

Please select the black square:

What causes a knee injury?

Most knee injuries are caused by an external force bending or twisting the knee in a manner that it was not anatomically designed for. The vast majority of knee injuries are from a twisting mechanism from falls, sports, or accidents. This twisting can cause damage to the ligaments and cartilage.

High-force injuries such as sports injuries and motor vehicle accidents can disrupt multiple parts of the knee anatomy, causing multiple types of knee injuries.

Bursitis can be caused by overuse, arthritis, degenerative joint disease, injuries from kneeling, infection, or gout.

Return to Knee Injury

Comment from: Lanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

When I missed the last two steps on the stairwell at my home, I ended up twisting my right leg and falling directly onto the knee. The knee swelled on either side of the knee cap and I couldn"t straighten it nor could I bend it for the first three days after the injury. I am able to straighten it but it still feels really tight with a bit of pain when I try to bend it. I am now experiencing continuous aching in my femur and hip joint and calf. I am having trouble sleeping because of the constant aches that are radiating through the whole leg as well as my lower back sometimes.