Shock (Medical) - Type

What type of medical shock did you experience?

Please select the white circle:

What are the types of shock?

Septic shock results from bacteria multiplying in the blood and releasing toxins. Common causes of this are pneumonia, urinary tract infections, skin infections (cellulitis), intra-abdominal infections (such as a ruptured appendix), and meningitis.

Anaphylactic shock is a type of severe hypersensitivity or allergic reaction. Causes include allergy to insect stings, medicines, or foods (nuts, berries, seafood), etc.

Cardiogenic shock happens when the heart is damaged and unable to supply sufficient blood to the body. This can be the end result of a heart attack or congestive heart failure.

Hypovolemic shock is caused by severe blood and fluid loss, such as from traumatic bodily injury, which makes the heart unable to pump enough blood to the body, or severe anemia where there is not enough blood to carry oxygen through the body.

Neurogenic shock is caused by spinal cord injury, usually as a result of a traumatic accident or injury.

Return to Shock (Medical)

Comment from: Bc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Three years ago, my shotgun slipped from its corner and discharged hitting my left foot. I heard it falling and rocked back on my heels so that action is what saved my toes but it removed the padding under my toes or the ball. I knew the signs of shock and they immediately set in. I stood there thinking who to call. I started deep breathing and had enough alertness to dial 911. The dispatcher ask me if I was bleeding badly and my response was that if I looked I would throw up. That's when I realized I was walking in a circle in a huge pool of blood. I was calm and told her to tell them the front door was unlocked and I was hanging up now because I was going to pass out and I'll be on the sofa. I hung up, calmly got a towel and wrapped it around my foot and waited and continued to deep breathe. The EMT (emergency medical technician) could not pick up either a pulse or blood pressure, I can't remember which. He panicked. I remember telling him to calm down, he'll find it out in a minute... my anxiety level was high and I remembered enough about shock that it was like I was removing myself from the danger of the situation. I was not myself. I kicked into overdrive. Said things and did things that I would never say or do anyway, I guess I'm saying try and fight it as best as you can. Know the signs and symptoms. I'm good now with no side effects.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I experienced septic shock, I wasn't feeling well and it became hard to breathe. While at the emergency room, I guess my blood pressure dropped, I had a staph pneumonia.