Shock (Medical) - Type

What type of medical shock did you experience?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the types of shock?

Septic shock results from bacteria multiplying in the blood and releasing toxins. Common causes of this are pneumonia, urinary tract infections, skin infections (cellulitis), intra-abdominal infections (such as a ruptured appendix), and meningitis.

Anaphylactic shock is a type of severe hypersensitivity or allergic reaction. Causes include allergy to insect stings, medicines, or foods (nuts, berries, seafood), etc.

Cardiogenic shock happens when the heart is damaged and unable to supply sufficient blood to the body. This can be the end result of a heart attack or congestive heart failure.

Hypovolemic shock is caused by severe blood and fluid loss, such as from traumatic bodily injury, which makes the heart unable to pump enough blood to the body, or severe anemia where there is not enough blood to carry oxygen through the body.

Neurogenic shock is caused by spinal cord injury, usually as a result of a traumatic accident or injury.

Return to Shock (Medical)

Comment from: carole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I don't know if I was in shock, but I had been admitted in hospital in India and whilst I was undergoing the initial treatment I started to shake and was very cold even under a blanket. I suffered a sudden attack of cholera with severe dharma and vomiting. I could hardly walk.

Stay Informed!