Cat Scratch Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with cat scratch disease.

Can my cat transmit Bartonella henselae to me?

Sometimes, yes, cats can spread B. henselae to people. Most people get CSD from cat bites and scratches. Kittens are more likely to be infected and to pass the bacterium to people. About 40% of cats carry B. henselae at some time in their lives. Cats that carry B. henselae do not show any signs of illness; therefore, you cannot tell which cats can spread the disease to you. People with immunocompromised conditions, such as those undergoing immunosuppressive treatments for cancer, organ transplant patients, and people with HIV/AIDS, are more likely than others to have complications of CSD. Although B. henselae has been found in fleas, so far there is no evidence that a bite from an infected flea can give you CSD.

Return to Cat Scratch Disease

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with cat scratch disease in 2003. They said it was dormant in my body since I was a kid and I had lots of cats. It could have been caused by a flea. I had meningitis and encephalitis. I was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis) in 2008 and now they're saying that the bartonella disease did all the damage that I have.

Comment from: marise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had cat scratch disease when I was in my 20s. A kitten scratched my foot and it swelled 3 times its normal size to the point of breaking the skin. I never had another problem till last night, at the age of 61, when my older cat poked me with his nail on my arm. The arm is discolored, swollen, and very painful to the touch. Calling doctor this morning.