Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

The symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle. They are not specific (which means they can mimic the symptoms of many other conditions) and are often attributed to aging. Patients with mild hypothyroidism may have no signs or symptoms. The symptoms generally become more obvious as the condition worsens and the majority of these complaints are related to a metabolic slowing of the body. Common symptoms are listed below:

• Fatigue
  • Increased cholesterol levels
  • Decreased concentration
  • Vague aches and pains
  • Swelling of the legs

As the disease becomes more severe, there may be puffiness around the eyes, a slowing of the heart rate, a drop in body temperature, and heart failure. In its most profound form, severe hypothyroidism may lead to a life-threatening coma (myxedema coma). In a severely hypothyroid individual, a myxedema coma tends to be triggered by severe illness, surgery, stress, or traumatic injury. This condition requires hospitalization and immediate treatment with thyroid hormones given by injection.

Properly diagnosed, hypothyroidism can be easily and completely treated with thyroid hormone replacement. On the other hand, untreated hypothyroidism can lead to an enlarged heart (cardiomyopathy), worsening heart failure, and an accumulation of fluid around the lungs (pleural effusion).

Return to Hypothyroidism

Comment from: BrettC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My hypothyroid symptoms are chronic fatigue, insomnia, weight gain, swelling in throat, snoring, back ache, sides ache, dizziness, depression and anxiety, low white cell count, occasional arrhythmia, vitamin B deficiency, iron deficiency, occasionally inability to pay attention, memory loss, irritability, impatience and I am easily exhausted.

Comment from: Bertab, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I remember feeling really run down at the end of the day. It was hard to follow through at work. I had definite brain fog! The two strongest symptoms for my hypothyroidism were a severe aching in my bones and unbelievable constipation. When I went in for treatment of the latter, the nurse practitioner did blood work. I was definitely hypothyroid, and looking back in my records, the bloodwork numbers showed I had been that way for years. It took my insistence for the follow up and a nurse practitioner (female) to make the connection. None of my male physicians caught the problem. Make sure you are heard. You know your body better than anyone else. Synthroid is doing the job and I feel so much better. And yes, I still love my doctor, I just make my concerns very clear and it helps him help me.