Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

What are the signs and symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease?

Many women don't know they have PID because they don't have any symptoms. For women who have them, symptoms can range from mild to severe. The most common symptom of PID is pain in your lower abdomen (stomach area). Other symptoms include:

• Fever (100.4 F or higher)
  • Vaginal discharge that may smell foul
  • Painful sex
  • Painful urination
  • Irregular periods (monthly bleeding)
  • Pain in the upper right abdomen

Pelvic inflammatory disease can come on fast with extreme pain and fever, especially if it's caused by gonorrhea.

Return to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Comment from: tessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had been suffering from period pains for years and I never bothered about it. Seven years ago I bled and had pain during intercourse and I never took it seriously, but the pain continued for months until I decided to see a doctor. He tested me for STI (sexually transmitted infection) and HIV and it was negative but the pain continued. I had pain the day before or after my periods and also during intercourse, mainly pelvic. When now and then I had irregular periods and every time I would go to the doctor, he would only tell me about the bladder infection and he'd tell me it is normal at my age and I am not the only one, and treat it, until he told me to use cranberry as I was spending money unnecessarily by consulting him all the time for bladder infection. I even went to do Pap smear many times and my results were okay. Early this year in January I had unbearable pain that was like labor pains, during my periods and I also had clots. I decided to see 3 different gynecologists to get different results and the first one told me I had endometriosis and cyst and the second one told me both ovaries had cyst then the last one said left endometriosis cyst. I went for laparoscopy hysterectomy only to find out I had PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) and my left ovary was blocked and I also had Fitz Hugh Curtis syndrome and they had to separate my uterus from the glands. But now I am fine and 6 months after the operation after years of sickness and no one knowing what I was suffering from.

Comment from: sarahjane, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) the day after my 20th birthday. I had gone into the emergency room about 3 weeks before with severe stomach pains in my lower right side, a fever, uncontrollable shaking and I had tachycardia, nausea with some vomiting. As they thought it was appendicitis, they opted to remove my appendix that day, as they said it didn't seem they had very much time to run tests. About 4 to 5 hours later I was being prepped for surgery; I was so happy that they were going to fix my pain, but didn't feel much better after the operation. But they said it would take up to 8 weeks to heal so I didn't think much of it, until my birthday, when I was in tears from the pain, lying in bed feeling sick. I thought it may pass, but then I started vomiting so I went back up to the hospital. A few tests and an ultrasound later I found out I had 90ml of fluid in my right tube, so in for surgery I went again, they flushed out my tube and I felt so much better as soon as I woke up. But I have since then been having irregular bleeding, which my doctor said was from the operation, but it's been two months. Also, the infection that caused all my pain was an e-coli infection, so it's not always an STD/STI.

Stay Informed!