Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

What are the signs and symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease?

: Many women do not know they have PID, because they do not have any signs or symptoms. When symptoms do happen, they can be mild or more serious. Signs and symptoms include:

• Pain in the lower abdomen (this is the most common symptom)
  • Fever (100.4 F or higher)
  • Vaginal discharge that may smell foul
  • Painful sex
  • Painful urination
  • Irregular periods
  • Pain in the upper right abdomen

If you think that you may have PID, see a doctor or nurse as soon as possible.

Return to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Comment from: SARAH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I normally have pain in the lower belly because of pelvic inflammatory disease. It can be very painful to the extent of bleeding even when I am not in my period. I did a scan and I was told that I have fluid in the pouch of Douglas. I need help.

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm 21 and just had a baby 4 months ago but hemorrhaged and had to have surgery. I had a Bakri balloon put in me, and 3 months later I started getting green discharge. Then just one day I started getting really high fevers, upper and lower abdominal pain, and blood in my urine. Finally I went to the emergency room and they pumped me with morphine because the pain was that bad. They finally decided to do the operation and it was pelvic inflammatory disease. They cleaned all the pus out, and I was on antibiotics through IV for 6 days, then oral for 10 days. Symptoms had gone for about 3 weeks and now all symptoms are back, and I've lost 10 kilos within the last 3 weeks. I have 2 little baby girls under 2 so I can't just go to the hospital, but if I do I have a feeling they will be doing more surgery. I have been living off strong pain killers.