Domestic Violence - Prevention

In what ways have you helped prevent domestic abuse, either personally or for a friend or relative?

Please select the black triangle:

How can intimate partner abuse be prevented and stopped?

Effective solutions for preventing intimate partner abuse include providing economic opportunity, mentors, role models who are survivors of domestic violence, organized community programs for youth and families and a school environment that promotes prevention of abusiveness in any relationship. Adult family members can help prevent domestic violence by being nurturing and by providing consistent, structured supervision. Raising the awareness about intimate partner violence in society at large, as occurs during Domestic Violence Awareness Month each October, can be invaluable to educating people about this issue.

According to the House of Ruth, a domestic violence center, everyone can help find ways to stop domestic violence, either by donating money or time to a domestic-violence organization, learning more about the problem, teaching children about healthy versus abusive relationships, listening in a nonjudgmental way to a domestic violence victim when he or she shares what they are going through, and giving victims information about where to get help. Supporters of intimate partner abuse victims can also discourage sexist jokes and remarks, boycott movies that gratuitously depict intimate partner violence and violence against women, and write legislators to support laws that protect and otherwise support intimate violence sufferers. Advocacy can further involve encouraging one's own health-care providers to post and share information about the issue. In the workplace, those who want to help stop to domestic abuse can organize a drive or fundraiser for goods or money to give to a domestic-violence organization.

Return to Domestic Violence

Comment from: Blessed by God, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have been in an emotionally sick relationship for 15 years. Through the help of wonderful professionals and great coworkers I have left this sick life behind forever. I have a young boy whose main interest for me was to have him grow up to be a fine young man. I left for myself, my son and my pets. People, domestic Violence is not love. Please save yourself, children and pets. I did it at 54 years of age and am thankful every day my whole life was not ruined.

Comment from: Cromwell, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

I am the mother of a domestic violence murder victim. My daughter was abused for a while. She would hide it or tell us something else happened to her. I did tell her one day I knew the real truth. I also let him know I knew and if I ever saw him put his hands on my daughter or granddaughter I would kill him. Instead on October 1, 2013 he went to my daughter's work and stabbed her. She was only 21, weighed 86 pounds, and was only 4 foot 7 inches tall. He was 31 over 6 foot and weighed at least 200 pounds or better. She was at work and not one person in that place, very busy on that day, tried to help her. She also had a daughter that had just turned 2 the end of August. He hung himself in jail that same night. So now I tell my daughter's story and hope that it will help someone else. So please get out you are being abused in any way. Once the person who says they love you puts their hands on you or talks to you like you are nothing they will do it again. Yes, they will say I am sorry and treat you like gold until they decide to do it again. It will be worse each and every time.