Spinal Cord Injury - Causes

What was the cause of your spinal cord injury?

Please select the white circle:

What are the causes of spinal cord injury?

The most common cause of spinal cord injury is trauma. Nearly half of the injuries are caused by motor vehicle accidents. Other types of trauma include:

• falls from heights,
  • violence (stabbing or gunshot wounds to the spine), and
  • sporting injuries (diving, football, rugby, equestrian, etc.).

Spinal cord injury can also be caused by compression of the cord by a tumor, infection, or inflammation. Some patients have a smaller than normal spinal canal (called spinal stenosis) and are at a higher risk of injury to the spinal cord.

All tissues in your body including the spinal cord require a good blood supply to deliver oxygen and other nutrients. Failure of this blood supply to the spinal cord can cause spinal cord injury. This can be caused by an aneurysm (ballooning of a blood vessel), compression of a blood vessel or a prolonged drop in blood pressure.

Return to Spinal Cord Injury: Treatments and Rehabilitation

Comment from: Nimrot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was in an accident in July 2013 so my spinal cord was damaged, i.e. the L1 burst. So my lower back sensation is low and my foot is completely paralyzed.

Comment from: cj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I started limping on my right side, found disc ruptured at C2. I was told spinal cord was damaged upon surgery. I am still weak on the right side.